Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kid Date Night, Take 2

Today was our second date night of the month, only this time we switched things up - Annika had a date with Will, and I had a date with Daniel! Here is what our evenings included: 

Daniel - sledding, ordering Pizza Hut pizza, and reading an entire Magic Treehouse book

Annika - sledding, watching The Land Before Time, and getting Orange Leaf frozen yogurt

Unfortunately, on Thursdays I teach late and the earliest I can get home is about 6 p.m. Since both kids really really wanted to go sledding on their dates, Will picked the kids up a little early and took them to the infamous Bergman Hill (aka Annika's school). I arrived to see Daniel dragging his sled back up the hill. 


Here is Annika flying down the hill!


After the Sledding Adventure, our individual dates began in earnest. Daniel was insistent that we not leave the house (I think he was cold from the sledding. I know that I was really cold). He wanted "pizza that someone brings to your house." Done! While we waited, we played the "Stack the States" game on the iPad. (It is amazing how much he has already learned about the states from playing this.)


Our pizza arrived from our very cold delivery person! They had a new "box deal" with pizza, bread-sticks  and cinnamon sticks. Hands down, Daniel's favorite were the cinnamon sticks. And the white icing that went with him - I think he managed to polish off the entire container. :)


Then came the highlight of the evening - Magic Treehouse! Will has been reading the Magic Treehouse books to Daniel at bedtime and they have been working their way through sequentially. They typically read two chapters a night (the books are always 10 chapters each). Daniel had suggested that we could read four chapters on our date tonight. We then decided to go for the gusto and read the entire book. And I think that was my favorite part of the evening - snuggling up with a very attentive 4-year-old can't be beat. :) After we were done, Daniel was ready to crash, saying, "I wasn't tired when we were reading, but now I am tired. I am SO TIRED. I don't even want to snuggle."


Will and Annika enjoyed their own date night fun and are nice and comfy for their movie watching.


Not to be outdone, Will and I had our own date at lunch today! On Thursdays, neither of us has class or office hours or any standing responsibilities over the lunch hour. We braved the cold to hike down to the Keltic Star, a new Irish pub open in Aggieville. They even have a classic telephone booth.


We started with the nachos, complete with cabbage, horse radish sauce, and corned beef. Will had the bangers and mash for the main dish (delicious, especially the cabbage), and I had a vegetable curry dish. Two big thumbs up!


No comments: