Today is the first day of August. School starts in less than two weeks. Time has slowed to a crawl. Every hour of unscheduled summer afternoons is an eternity. Time is racing away unchecked. We have not packed a picnic at the park this summer, or held a water balloon fight, or stayed in our pajamas all day. Only a few days remain for summer adventures.
I love summer. We have time to swim in the evenings under the pool lights and cover our hands in glue to peel off in satisfying chunks and wander the aisles of craft stores for no reason. My children thrive with downtime and summer gives them so much. They are taller by summer's end, if not in height, but by their heightened confidence and the stillness of their souls.
I hate summer. I have outlandish expectations every year of all I will accomplish at work that I never meet. I have high hopes of unmatched productivity at home but experience unrivaled slothfulness. Our children miss daily interactions with their peers, are lonely with long chunks of time with only family members, spin with no routine.
Summer is wonderful. Routines are wonderful. I hope we can capture more magical moments in these last lazy, hazy days of summer. And I hope you can, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment