Sunday, August 11, 2019

40 Before 40 List


To celebrate the year before I turned 40, I had a goal of doing 40 new things. I had originally thought about making a list ahead of time and trying to accomplish it, but a wise friend suggested that might be stressful and it could be more joyful simply to keep track of every new thing I did. I am so glad I followed this advice.

Accomplishing 40 new things over the past year has brought me so much satisfaction. I achieved my goal of visiting all 50 states before turning 40 - thanks to a visit planned to North Dakota for this purpose. Some were items I had always planned to do but never gotten around to it - like visiting Aldi's. Others were unexpected - hearing a glacier calve. Some were silly - eating a dandelion. But all expanded my horizons.

Here is my list of my completed #40before40 items that I experienced for the first time:

1. Had a temporary disability parking permit.

2. Navigated an airport on crutches.

3. Visited Penn State University.

4. Volunteered for a political cause (YES 383, the local school bond issue).

5. Presented at a workshop at the University of North Texas.

6. Wrote a Letter to the Editor in the local newspaper.

7. Visited Stonehenge.

8. Visited Bath, England.

9. Went punting.

10. Ice skated at Crown Center in Kansas City.

11. Shopped at Aldi's.

12. Hiked the Blue River Trail in Manhattan.

13. Worked out with deep-water aerobics.

14. Visited Hawaii.

15. Enjoyed a luau.

16. Visited Volcano National Park.

17. Wore a crop top.

18. Touched an octopus.

19. Presented a workshop at the University of South Carolina.

20. Saw two bison battle each other.

21. Got highlights in my hair.

22. Visited Deloitte University in Dallas.

23. Wore reading glasses.

24. Visited Alaska.

25. Saw a glacier.

26. Went on a sled dog ride.

27. Went as far north as I ever have - almost to Yukon, Canada.

28. Visited Glacier Bay National Park.

29. Heard a glacier calve.

30. Ate a dandelion.

31. Saw a Gay Pride Parade.

32. Wore boxing gloves (and joined 9 Round!).

33. Visited North Dakota (therefore visiting all 50 states before I turned 40!).

34. Entered Canada by car.

35. Visited the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

36. Went to the top of the CN Tower (the highest up I had ever been).

37. Visited Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

38. Ate rolled ice cream.

39. Bought sunglasses.

40. Visited Alcatraz Island!

Here is to the next 40 and beyond!!

No comments: