Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Transparency


I am a very transparent person in most elements of my life. I reveal almost every inner thought I have on Facebook, including some that would probably be better kept closer to my chest. I will answer any question that someone asks me. I really don't have any secrets.

And yet, I am not very transparent in the classroom. I reveal very little about myself or my opinions or beliefs while I am teaching. I teach multiple classes a year. Last year, I realized that on the first day of class, I did not think to give any background information about myself for any class. I stated my name and immediately moved into how to get in touch outside of class.

My daughter is a sophomore in high school and shared that the first day of class in high school is primarily learning about each teacher's background. She loves this. She loves getting to know each teacher on a more personal level, loves seeing pictures of their family and learning about their interests, loves the chance to think of their activities outside of class. I told her I share nothing about myself when I teach and this revelation appalled her. "You don't even show pictures!?!"

High school and college teachers have a different role. I think it is important for high school teachers to establish a bond and develop a personal connection with their students. But perhaps that is also important for college teachers. I definitely would like to share more about my professional background with my students, if for nothing else to provide more credibility and help in navigating career options.

But perhaps it would also be appropriate to share a little about my personal life on the first day of the semester. Perhaps I can share that my husband is an electrical engineering professor at K-State, and that we have two children, a sophomore and a 6th grader. If I get brave, perhaps I can share what I enjoy doing outside of work, that I love reading, writing, travel. Perhaps I can even, unlike last year, share my thoughts when a student asks my opinion about a tax policy issue instead of being evasive.

No one owes anyone any amount of transparency or disclosure. But being transparent has deepened my connections in so many ways, and I am up for trying to expand it in others.

No comments: