Monday, August 12, 2019

End of an Era


In 2009, Annika started elementary school as a kindergarten student at Arbor Ridge Elementary in Orlando, Florida. Now, ten years later, Daniel is entering his last year in elementary school as a 6th grader at Amanda Arnold Elementary in Manhattan, Kansas. In between those schools, our family also spent six years at Bergman Elementary, also in Manhattan, Kansas. This year is our family's 11th and final year of elementary school.

I love all three elementary schools our children have attended. At Arbor Ridge, Annika's reading and writing exploded. She found a wonderful Girl Scout Troop and our connections with some of those families continue to this day. Bergman is the only elementary school both of our children have attended together; we loved the socioeconomic diversity and the strong relationships formed that have forged the bonds of life-long friendships. At Amanda Arnold, the school Daniel has attended since second grade, we love the strong academics, the wonderful teachers and staff, and the great community spirit that the school fosters.

I am a little sad to be ending elementary school. I love having a one-on-one relationship with a teacher that lasts the entire year. I love the relationships that form among peers near each other. I love feeling that I understand the system and how it operates. I love the emphasis on social and emotional growth and the preservation of childhood that elementary schools provide.

I know Daniel will be ready to move on after this year. Ready to select his elective classes. Ready for more options in after-school activities. Ready to meet new groups of kids. Ready to interact with more teachers. Ready to spread his wings and fly.

But I am grateful for these soon-to-be 11 years of elementary schools as a parent. Grateful for all three schools that have loved and nurtured our children. Grateful that we have been fortunate to live in communities with amazing teachers and strong school communities. Grateful for all the progress our children have made while in elementary school.

Here is to the end of an era, and to one last amazing year in elementary school.

No comments: