Thursday, August 22, 2019

Back to School Night


Last night was Back to School Night at the high school my daughter attends. This was a two-hour event opening with an assembly for all parents, and then time to go to all of our student's classes. The schedule provided 7 minutes for each class and a 5-minute passing period in between. Here is what I learned:

  • The MHS high school campus is BIG. I am a quick walker, and even I had to concentrate on moving quickly to make it on time to classes in the 5-minute passing period. I can see why my daughter never uses her locker, as there would literally be no time to do so. 
  • 10th grade is an academic step-up. This will vary for everyone, but 10th grade feels like it will be a dramatically more intensive academic experience compared to the previous year. I think this could be because some classes (like social studies/science) are essentially the same for all 9th graders in our district, and 10th grade AP/concurrent enrollment classes are closer to taking a college class in high school. 
  • The school is placing a big emphasis on attendance and tardies. The principal showed data that attendance and being on time are the biggest predictors of long-term success. I would agree. I can also see now why my daughter was so stressed when the school nurse sent her home sick yesterday morning and she missed a whole day of school. 
  • It would be easy to feel lost in the shuffle. The school is doing a tremendous amount of work to create closer relationships, such as an Advisory class of approximately 15 students and a teacher that stays the same throughout the high school years. Other changes include an assistant principal and two comprehensive counselors per grade level that move up with the students. I think these moves are brilliant. But it is still a very large building with a very large student population, and I think it would be easy to feel anonymous. 
  • Seven classes plus Advisory is a lot of logistics. Hear me out. When I was a PhD student, I had 3 classes per semester for which I needed to keep track. In high school, students have 7 classes per semester, plus Advisory, plus sports, plus activities, plus jobs, plus, plus, plus. I think I sometimes I roll my eyes at comparisons between teenagers and adults since adults have, on average, so much more on their plate. But we also have had a whole lifetime of learning these skills. Teenagers have a lot of little things to balance and have, on average, less practice in managing multiple balls in the air. 
  • Teachers are going to heaven first. Every single teacher my daughter has this year is amazing. Each is kind, dedicated, passionate, rigorous, approachable, and everything you could want in a teacher. Teachers pour their heart and soul into guiding our children and I am eternally grateful for their many sacrifices. 
Here is to a new year! 

No comments: