Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Severe Weather


The picture above is from yesterday morning on my walk to my office. Just another typical Kansas day, half the sky a beautiful blue, the other half a huge wall of storm clouds ready to bear down any second (for the record, the beautiful sky won).

Wednesday night/Thursday morning there is a potentially huge winter storm forecast. Here are the predicted snow totals, per WIBW:

This morning - up to 5 to 10 inches
This afternoon - up to 8 to 12 inches
This evening - up to 15+ inches

My meteorologist dad states that snow is notoriously difficult to forecast, since a little change in bands can make a huge difference, plus there is so little moisture involved. But still - I can't remember the last time that 15+ inches were even a possibility.

Here are exciting events happening on Thursday morning:

Me - my flight leaves the Manhattan airport (total terminals: 1) at 6:10 a.m. (I am going to San Diego for a conference. I think.)

Will - teaches his morning class at 8:05 a.m.

The kids - normally I take them in, but since Will teaches early and I will be gone, he will be dropping the kids off super extra early. Annika's extended care begins at 7:00 a.m. (we think....) and D's on-campus daycare opens at 7:30 a.m.

Just for fun, here are my predictions of what will actually happen on Thursday:

Me - I will wake up at 4:00 a.m. to make it to the airport on time (typical time to drive: 10 minutes). I will not crash on the way, but will come perilously close. Once at the airport, my plane will not be canceled per se, but will be delayed. Indefinitely. I will spend 8+ hours at the airport, but perhaps I will make some headway on work.

Will - K-State will not cancel classes, despite a heavy blizzard. The show must go on!

The kids - Clearly, Manhattan will cancel all school. So will the K-State daycare (I mean, clearly it should follow MANHATTAN, not K-State...) They will spend the morning in Will's class where many violent fights will break out over who has possession of the Family iPad.

Stay tuned!

No comments: