Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Home Scientists

Tonight my Brownie troop started to work on their Home Scientist Badge. The main event was making homemade ice cream out of sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla, with Ziploc bags, ice, and rock salt to help us out! (This step involved being a "kitchen scientist" with learning how the rock salt worked. I think I might have messed up the explanation...) 

The girls made sure to double bag both the smaller Ziploc bag (with ingredients) and the larger bag (which held the ice and salt mix). 


After carefully measuring all of the ingredients, it was time to vigorously shake it up for at least 10 minutes.


The girls made sure to bring mittens tonight so that nobody ran the risk of frostbite.


The shaking got pretty loud, though, and I felt bad that we were disturbing the Junior girls who were trying to do a quiet activity (we are in a mixed-age troop and I run the Brownies). So we took our shaking outside, where it was starting to snow!


The girls really enjoyed the fire pit behind the Little House (where we hold our Girl Scout meetings) and  had fun jumping around on the rock seats (while still vigorously shaking when I reminded them).


Verdict on the ice cream was that it was delicious. I stole a taste from Annika's bag and I concur.

Next up - learning about density! This was a "dancing raisin" activity, where you drop raisins into soda. They sink, then float, sink, then float (essentially as the bubbles from the soda enter/pop inside the ridges of the raisins).


Very fun Brownie meeting!


I texted Will this morning and said I was in a super grumpy mood for no apparent reason, and wouldn't he like to have chips and queso with me to help snap out of it?? Well, with that kind of an appealing offer, how could I get turned down?? We headed to Taco Luecha in Aggieville for an early lunch, where not only did we get chips and queso, but ALSO indulged in the legendary Raspberry Black Bean Dip. Obviously, my mood skyrocketed from that point on. :)


No comments: