This morning, my friend Christine and I ran in the Run 4 Love 5K race together! It was a great race. Here are the top 10 positive things about the event:
10. This was the first year of the race and the organizers were maybe hoping to have 80 people participant. Instead, more than 200 people registered!
9. It was held at Cico Park, a half mile from my house and a place where we have run many times before.
8. Christine's husband and two sweet girls walked over to cheer us on!
7. You could enter as an individual or as a couple. Prizes were given to the top individuals as well as the top couples (i.e., lowest combined times).
6. For a race in February, it couldn't have been better weather. It was around 35-40 degrees (?), a little wind, but absolutely no snow or ice on the ground.
5. The way that the route was run involved going up this one particular hill three different times. I actually preferred that since it was a confidence-booster knowing exactly what to expect.
4. The race was a fundraiser for the Manhattan Cross Country Club and was very well organized. There were giant mile marker signs for each mile, people reading splits, and lots of volunteers directing race traffic.
3. Post-race food included giant frosted heart-shaped cookies.
2. I was super happy with our time - 32:37! This is exactly 1 minute faster than my time at the Groundhog 5K race a couple of weeks ago, and on a hillier course (Groundhog is indoors so really not many hills to speak of). I am feeling renewed confidence that I can get faster in races.
1. Best part - running with Christine! It was so much fun to run the race together and felt like our typical Saturday morning runs, only with more people. AND - it was Christine's birthday today! I really enjoyed getting to share some of her day with her. :)
All in all, this was a great way to meet my goal of a monthly 5K or 10K race! And it was a confidence booster that I will make some progress toward my time goals.
Next up on the agenda is the St. Patrick's Day 10K race. I registered for it this morning after finishing the race. It will be the first 10K of the year and I am excited...although still have a good deal of work to do first.


1 comment:
Nice little confidence builder for you, Amy! Know, too, that one runs slower in the cold, and it was a lot colder than it was in the underground. Glad to see your enthusiasm! :-)
Post a Comment