Sunday, March 24, 2013

Days 3 and 4 in New Orleans

Update from New Orleans - I survived the conference!! Not only survived, but I think that it went really well overall. There were some minor snafus but I don't think anyone other than me or Donna noticed them. We are both so happy that it is over, though! Don't think either of us will be rushing to coordinate another conference anytime soon.
 
After the conference wrapped up last night, I realized that I had been around people and had been "on" for almost the past 48 hours. After a couple of hours of rest I was recovered enough to talk to people again such as, oh, my darling family. :) I had a marvelous evening of just relaxing, including running on the hotel treadmill and reading a fun library book (that I was able to check out for my Kindle!!).
 
Today marks my journey back home. I got to the airport about 5:30 a.m. for my 8:00 a.m. flight, but as you can see below, the line for security for my terminal looks crazy. I am not sure if my plan of waiting it out while playing on the computer with the free WiFi is actually going to pan out, and I might be forced to join the every-growing crazy line myself.
 

 
Update from the Home Front - Will drove back to the Kansas City area yesterday from Manhattan (he had snuck off briefly to madly try to get some work done - a million thanks to Nonnie and Pa for keeping the kids!). Once there, he and the kids ventured to Oak Park Mall. They all enjoyed riding the illustrious Double-Decker Carousel.
 

The reason for the Oak Park Mall trip was that we had a free coupon that was soon expiring at the kids' favorite stuffed animal store: Build-A-Bear-Workshop! Daniel's Rainbow Bear (aka Rainbow Darth Vader) got some new duds. I present to you: Iron Bear!
 


Annika's miniature Wendy (named for my parents' cat) got a new outfit, while Wendy herself is beach ready with a new swimming suit.


After Build-A-Bear, Will and the kids headed over to Grammy and Gramps' house in Olathe. Given that it is late March and almost Easter, it is mind-blowing the amount of crazy winter weather that we are continuing to have. This picture below is of their backyard as it started to snow. From what I have read, northeast Kansas should get around 4-8 inches of snow by today. I am a little worried about how this will affect our travel plans with driving back to Manhattan from KC (and hopefully my flights will be okay). Even though the snow is annoying, though, it sure is beautiful.


Update from the NCAA Tournament - finally, this has been a crazy March Madness. Not happy about K-State's loss at all, but I love underdogs and love it when they knock off the higher-rated seed. I am also a huge Wichita State girl - it is the university of my hometown, and the people there were just so nice to me and the others in my program while I was in high school. So I am just ectastic that WSU has beaten the #1-rated seed, Gonzaga!! Other than K-State, there is no one else I would rather see have an awesome tournanent run. Way to go, Shockers!!!

(P.S. To the New York Times, who described WSU as having an "odd, pencil-shaped mascot"...obviously you are not familiar with the heartland and "wheat shocks." ;) )

No comments: