I meant to do this at the end of January, but after two months is better than nothing - checking in to see how well (or not) I am doing at meeting my 2013 goals.
Daily Goals
- Keep a Gratitude Journal - Pass! I have been using the app "One Thousand Gifts" to record joys each morning and am up to 199 entries. I also love that it is backed up to Flickr for all of the pictures.
- Blog on 4 is more - Pass! I am probably annoying all of my family members who have this emailed to their inbox, but I just love having a record of our family.
Monthly Goals
- Conduct an In-Depth Purge of One Are in the House (+ the car/van) each month - Pass!
January was the fourth bedroom (now a guest room/office) and February was the "deep basement." We have done a good job of keeping those homes neat and de-cluttered. We have NOT done as well with keeping the car/van clean each time we clean everything up - something to work on.
- Go on a "Date" with each of the kids each month - Pass, if you accept weird calendar rules!
Annika's Dates so far - painting sun catchers, going sledding and watching a movie, going ice skating, and going bowling
Daniel's Dates so far - watching a movie, going sledding, going to Cico Park with IHOP, going to CITY Park with IHOP
- Volunteer as a Whole Family Once a Month - Pass!
In January, we all helped take down the church Christmas decorations. In February, we all worked at the elementary school book fair. While we were all present for both of these, I think the kids had a more meaningful experience at church since there were more tasks they could help with.
- Perform a Random Act of Kindness as a Whole Family at least once a month - Pass, if you accept a weird definition of "whole family"
In January, we left money in random library books, although Annika and I were the only ones who could actually do it. In February, we bought McCain tickets for a family at school for them to attend a show, although the kids don't know about this.
Year End Goals
- Meet my 5k and 10k time goals - Fail!
I did take about a minute off of my 5k time between races in January and February, but still no where close to that goal. I am running a 10k race in less than 2 weeks and I have not even run anything close to that distance yet.
- Run a 5k or 10k race once a month - Pass!
This was my revised running goal after a disappointing race in January. It is more "process" oriented than "outcome" oriented. I ran in the Groundhog 5k race (indoors) in Kansas City in January, and an outdoor one in Manhattan in February.
- Transfer all of our CDs to iTunes - Fail!
I have transferred (1) the Les Miz soundtrack and (2) the two new Vampire Weekend CDs that I purchased. Based on how long just those took, it is going to be a LONG process. :)
*************************
Finally, an update on NPR and our family. The kids and I listened to NPR this morning on the way to school, which was airing a show on childhood obesity. They were talking about kids and family dinners, exercise, etc. I asked Daniel when we got to school if he knew what the show was about. Daniel immediately responded, "I still don't like vegetables!" :)
When to Pivot and When to Stay the Course
4 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment