Today is Move-In Day at Kansas State University. I tried to go to my office to pick up some items and got caught in a massive traffic jam. I am clearly having an emotional day because instead of being annoyed at the sheer volume of vehicles on campus, I promptly burst into tears thinking of all of the parents who were dropping their children off in the dorms and reflected on what a huge time of transition this must be for all involved.
I also drove right past where I moved into as a freshman in August 1997, Smurthwaite Scholarship House. It looks exactly the same, a blocky three-story structure on the corner of Manhattan Avenue and Claflin Road. I still viscerally remember my own move-in day there. We were able to move in on a Thursday, whereas the rest of campus was allotted a Saturday slot, and traffic was relatively light. My parents, sister, and I all drove up in my parents' sedan, with the trunk overflowing with provisions. More than half the space was devoted to my computer - between the three-foot high (or so it seemed) base tower, the giant monitor, and the printer, there was little room to bring much else. I felt that I had shopped for everything possible but came to later regret what I had neglected to carry - books for pleasure, warm clothes, photo albums.
I had two wonderful roommates, both from the same small hometown. One of them, my wonderful friend Bekah, is still one of my very dearest and closest friends to this day. I look back and I was a terrible roommate in many ways. I met and started dating my now-husband in the first week of the semester and spent almost all snatches of time with him. He was awarded the "Cold Bed Award" from his own scholarship house at the end of the year, and I bristle now at what an awful roommate I was. But I loved my roommates fiercely. They brought out the very best in me and helped me see that going to college was so much more than simply taking classes and studying.
My hope and prayer for everyone moving into the dorms at K-State today is that they are blessed with a transformative time here. I started college still 17 years old, both highly insecure and highly judgmental. I emerged later with a husband, lifelong friends, a much stronger sense of self, and a fiery sense of empathy and acceptance. But I also pray for all of the parents at drop off today. That they can let their children embark on this new adventure with strength and resilience in their heart. That the tears that flow are happy tears. That they know they have done an amazing job of raising these independent children and it is time to let them fly. That the bonds they have formed in the last 18 years will never be broken. That this is part of the circle of life. Happy Move-In Day, K-State Family.
No comments:
Post a Comment