Yesterday marked Will and my 20th wedding anniversary! In honor of this monumental occasion, and because I love to document before my memory fails me, here is how we have spent the past 20 years on our August 8th anniversary!
Zero-ith - We were married on August 8, 1998 at College Hill United Methodist Church in Wichita, KS. Will made the mistake on the night of our wedding of ordering the VERY EXPENSIVE COMBO MEAL FROM WENDY'S instead of ordering one item off of the dollar menu like I thought he should. ;)
1st - We took a trip to DC as more of a "real" honeymoon than our abbreviated St. Louis excursion. On our anniversary itself we went to the "very fancy" TGI Friday's (my first time there).
2nd - Drove to Topeka to eat at Olive Garden. I was turning 21 in 20 days....but still couldn't drink yet.
3rd - I was out of town at a conference in Atlanta. When I got back, we drove to Junction City to eat at the Cracker Barrel (yay, fancy us!).
4th - We were both interning in Kansas City that summer. We went to the ever-yummy Jack Stack BBQ in Martin City.
5th - We were vacationing in New York City with Julie and Charlie on the Coolest Vacation Ever. That day, we all went out to Coney Island. In the evening, Will and I saw a show (I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!) and ate Thai food afterwards at a really mediocre place. I didn't know it yet, but was pregnant with Annika.
6th - Annika was 3.5 months old. She accompanied us to the Olive Garden right by our house.
7th - We had just moved to Florida a few days ago. The 3 of us went to Olive Garden, where Annika proceeded to throw breadsticks over her shoulder. Decide to nix "fine dining" with a toddler.
8th - Will and I went to a local Vietnamese place over our lunch hour, sans Annika (see Year 7 above).
9th - We headed out to the fanciest place of all over lunch: Logan's Roadhouse. I had just returned from my annual accounting conference (which is always the same time as our anniversary), and had just found out I was pregnant with Daniel.
10th - We went to Downtown Disney and saw Cirque du Soleil Orlando while Nonnie watched the kids. We were technically a week early because of my accounting conference.
11th - Went on a cruise to the Bahamas!! We did it the week after our anniversary and Nonnie flew down to Florida and watched the kids for a whole week while we cruised around the Caribbean. I had just graduated with my PhD so there was a lot to celebrate. ;)
12th - The kids went to stay with Nonnie for the weekend! (I am sensing a theme...THANK YOU, NONNIE!!) The most memorable things about that weekend were (1) we went to the Chef Cafe for breakfast for the first time, and (2) we spent a lot of time attempting to find a bike for me but did not end up purchasing anything because I couldn't decide.
13th - Once again, after my accounting conference, the kids went to (wait for it....wait for it....) Nonnie's house while Will and I went to LAS VEGAS for a few days!! We went to five different shows while we were there and ate at the Top of the World Restaurant at the Stratosphere.
14th - Will and the whole family came to DC with me for my accounting conference. The evening of our anniversary we all went out to an Italian restaurant with my best bud Denise. And, the kids got their much-anticipated Build-A-Bears (Daniel got a Darth Vader Rainbow Bear and Annika got a Calico Cat that she named Wendy).
15th - This year our anniversary fell right in the middle of our Big West Road Trip Adventure! Very memorable day - we saw the Grand Canyon with the kids! We ordered Pizza Hut delivery that evening.
16th - We drove back from my accounting conference in Atlanta. Will drove the 16+ hour drive in one go, so we spent our actual anniversary being very tired.
17th - Shockingly, once again, my accounting conference fell during our anniversary. My family mutinied and did not wish to attend, so I saw Will for a solid 15 minutes before I headed up to Chicago.
18th - Our anniversary fell during our Big East Coast Trip for my conference. We were in New York City for our actual anniversary and took a horse-drawn carriage ride around Central Park with the whole family!
19th - Wait for it...wait for it - at an accounting conference! San Diego this year. We took a harbor cruise at sundown with the kids.
20th - Since our actual anniversary fell during my accounting conference, we went to Paris in June for a trip of a lifetime! But shockingly, we were together on our actual anniversary at my conference in Washington, DC. We took a U.S. Capitol Tour, explored D.C., and saw a comedy show at the Kennedy Center!
Happy 20th Anniversary, Will. You truly are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you!


No comments:
Post a Comment