Wednesday, July 17, 2019

On Nonconformance


When I was a child, I was not interested in the same activities as other girls my age at different points in time. I did not enjoy fashion. I had no interest in celebrities. I barely had any interest in dolls. As I grew older, I realized it was easier to make connections with others if I shared common interests - or at least did my best to foster common interests.

My children have very different, distinct interests. What is both noteworthy and also frustrating is that neither of them will compromise on their interests to nourish relationships with others. For example, both children have been invited to be a part of separate Robotics clubs. Neither child has any interest in Robotics, and neither wants to take part in this activity - even though many of their good friends are involved. Being strong and true to yourself is a great way to avoid peer pressure in these formative years. It can also be isolating and lonely.

But then I remember, once again, that my children are not me. And perhaps we can all ultimately find connections on what matters to us if we are true to ourselves, instead of trying to conform to others. One of our deepest human desires is to be seen and loved for exactly who we are. And hiding who we are only keeps what makes us shine hidden from view.

I am grateful every day for these quirky, uniquely wired kids - who teach me just as much as I hope to teach them. 

No comments: