Monday, July 29, 2019

I Love You, Little Apple


I have a confession: I love living in Manhattan, Kansas. The small-town feel with big-city amenities. The woven partnership and support between the city and the university. The people: teachers, medical professionals, community members. The local restaurants: Radina’s, Bourbon & Baker, Taco Lucha. The predictable pattern of community events each season: the St. Patrick's Day race in mid-March, the local dance studio recitals in early May, the Riley County Fair in late July, the Mayor's Lighted Holiday Parade in early December. 

I love my children, and while I can see plenty of room for improvements, I bristle inside when I hear others criticizing them. It feels personal and the words of criticism cut deeply. In that same way, hearing people vehemently criticize Manhattan also feels strangely personal. I overheard a conversation this morning between two women who were bonding in a waiting room over their mutual hatred of Manhattan. Both of them had lived here for several years, hated living in this town, and could not wait to escape to a different location. 

Manhattan is not everyone's cup of tea. It is a small town, geographically isolated from larger metropolitan areas. Seeking specialized medical care means driving hours away. The population is transient, which can be a strength (easier assimilation) or a challenge (many close friends move away). The cost of living is one of the highest in Kansas, as are the property and sales taxes. Childcare can be tricky to secure, particularly for infants. I am a married, white, Christian, middle-class woman; I know there are more challenges if you are not. 

But I love Manhattan, Kansas. Falling in love is not always logical. I love the slower pace of life. I love driving to the "other side of town" in 12 minutes. I love the way the whole town wears purple on Fridays to support the university. I love swimming in the public pools, biking on Linear Trail around town, running and walking through the city's parks. I love hiking on the Konza Prairie and the way my breath catches in my throat every time I reach the summit. I love the sunrises and the sunsets over the Flint Hills. I love the schools for our children, the university where I work, the grocery store where I shop. 

I love you, Little Apple. You will always have a special place in my heart. 

No comments: