Wednesday, July 24, 2019

9 Round


I have not run in more than a year. I initially hurt my foot, then hurt my other foot, and now, any time I have attempted to get back into running again with a Couch-to-5k plan, my foot hurts again. I have enjoyed still lifting weights, walking, and doing yoga. But I have missed the intense cardio that running provides, the efficiency of burning calories, and the flood of endorphins after a run.

So I was intrigued when a friend invited me to try 9 Round with her. 9 Round is a franchise that offers a 30-minute circuit-training workout with an emphasis on kickboxing. I am a super uncoordinated person, but it excited me to try out something new. I ended up loving 9 Round so much that I have joined this gym and just completed my 10th workout there today. I did not know much about it before beginning, so wanted to provide a little description about what this gym is like, along with advantages and disadvantages.

9 Round is named because there are 9 fitness station "rounds" that you complete. Each round is a little less than 3 minutes. In between each station, there is a 30 second "active workout" component that changes each time - it could be burpees, pushups, mountain climbers, wall sits, you name it. The total workout takes around 30 minutes. There are always multiple trainers present to help you with form and figuring out the moves. It is like taking part in a boot camp style class, only instead of a preset class time, you can show up any time the gym is open - as rounds start every 3 minutes.

One area I was most intrigued by was what the stations and workouts comprised. There are new exercises every day at each station, but the basic function of each station is consistent:

- Round 1 - cardio - usually jump rope. This is designed to bring your heart rate up.

- Round 2 - weights. This typically involves several alternating exercises with dumbbells or kettlebells.

- Rounds 3 though 8 - kickboxing. This involves punching and kicking heavy bags. Often, the trainers will also pull you out to work on sparring one-on-one, which I have really enjoyed.
- Round 3 - a small tear-shaped attached bag that moves quickly - usually focuses on quick punches.
- Round 4 - a large heavy hanging cylinder bag - often has many shin kicks, round kicks, or other kinds of leg kicks.
- Round 5 - a larger heavy circular-ish bag - combination of legs and arms.
- Round 6 - a heavy cylinder bag - often freestyle at this point and lots of work with the trainers.
- Round 7 - a horizontal-hanging cylinder bag. Both legs and arms.
- Round 8 - a speed bag - lots of work on quick hits.

- Round 9 - core. Each day has a different set of several abdominal exercises that you complete.

Here is my opinion of the pros and cons:

Pros 
- It is super fun to hit things (and people!). I am not a violent person, but have found punching items to be therapeutic.

- If you enjoy boot-camp style workouts (I do), I think you would also enjoy 9 Round. The huge advantage for me is that there are no set class times, so I can literally show up whenever the gym is upon and get a boot camp-type class workout.

- The trainers are all excellent. I am uncoordinated and they have worked a great deal in helping me with my form, plus being very positive and encouraging. I love having someone to watch what I am doing during every workout.

- I feel like I am getting a complete whole-body workout each time. Whereas running did not work (for me) my arms as much, here, I feel like all aspects of my body are being addressed.

- I love the heart rate technology. When you join, you get a heart rate chest strap. Then, your heart rate and what "zone" you are in is displayed on screens during the gym while you are working out. Participants are encouraged to stay in the "yellow" (cardio) zone, but I have found I am almost always in the "red" (anaerobic) zone. I don't feel like I will pass out, but maybe as I get acclimated over time my heart rate will come down.

Cons 
- It is not cheap. There is also not a per-session cost -  the choice is to sign up for unlimited visits a month or nothing. I initially balked at paying more than a basic gym option. However, when I thought about what each session would cost based on working out 3 or 4 times a week (which I have been doing), it was cheaper than other boot camp classes I have done years ago. But that is definitely a barrier.

- The times are limited. Specifically, the gym is open early in the morning (5:30 a.m., soon to be 5:15 a.m.), but closes at 8:00 p.m. at night. I am more likely to work out late at night than very early in the morning, so have had to adjust my schedule. It is also closed on Sundays, which requires me to plan around that.

My purpose is not to convince anyone to try or not try 9 Round - just to provide a little more awareness about what it entails since it was mysterious to me before I joined. I am enjoying the workouts and the positive atmosphere, but know that will not be for everyone. And I am thrilled that I have found a place to help me reap some benefits that I previously got with running!

No comments: