Reading was my favorite pastime as a child. From the moment I first memorized and recited the book
Madeline at two years of ago, I was hooked. One year, at a lonely point in 5th grade, I tracked my reading habits for the month of February and was astounded to discover I had read 60 books by the end of the month. Reading helped me decipher seemingly obtuse social codes. Reading gave me comfort. Reading helped me unlock whole new worlds. Reading was like breathing.
As I grew older, I had less time to read, partly because my responsibilities expanded, but partly because I bought into the narrative that I did not have enough time to read. When I first went to college, I took hardly any books with me, so sure was I that I would be devoting all of my time to studying and would have little time to read for pleasure. I soon reversed course and devoured books I borrowed from my now-husband. The period when I started my PhD program was another low point in my reading trajectory. I spent so much time reading and analyzing papers for school and raising my children that I had little energy to read for pleasure myself.
When I moved to Manhattan eight and a half years ago, I was determined to make tenure, take care of my family - and make time to read for pleasure. I think I have mostly succeeded in that endeavor. In no particular order, what helps me be a reader today:
10. Book Clubs - At one point, I was in five book clubs at once. Today, I am in a much more manageable two (well, maybe three groups....). Not only do book clubs bring together people who also love to read and share common interests, having a set deadline forces me to finish books that may have been challenging to get through on my own.
9. Library Holds - Speaking of deadlines, there is nothing like a deadline to ensure that finishing a book will happen, rather than getting distracted by other books. I absolutely love how our library system allows patrons to place holds on library books that can be easily picked up at the library when they are available - and how there is a built-in deadline on finishing the book.
8. Kindle - I have fully metamorphosed into a reader who could only imagine reading physical books to one who actually prefers e-books on my phone or Kindle device. Part of this reason is that such books can be read in snippets anywhere and anytime. I also love another the ability to read on my phone in bed and the relative lightness of the devices.
7. Kindle e-books from the Library - Another huge reason behind my change to preferring to read on my Kindle is the plethora of e-books available in Kindle format at the library, which are incredibly easy to check out and accumulate no late fees. Heaven.
6. Much time spent researching books - It seems counter-intuitive, but as I have increased the energy and effort I put into researching potential books, I find I actually read more. Having a great book to dive into greatly increases the odds I will finish it. I am part of an awesome online group of friends which discusses books, which is a huge source of suggestions. I also very carefully read reviews, follow publisher releases, and put a good deal of energy into attempting to identify books I might enjoy.
5. No shame in abandoning books - I start many, many books I never finish. Perhaps they were not the right book for me. Perhaps I was not in the right mood when I started. In any case, I have no guilt in neglecting to finish a book that is not working for me, especially ones I am solely reading on my own.
4. Keeping a List - In 2013, I started keeping a list of books read during the year. I have loved looking back on these lists, particularly when friends asked for recommendations.
3. Joining Goodreads - One of the best decisions I made was joining Goodreads a year or two ago. This site is a social media platform for book lovers, but it also helps to keep track of books read, store ratings, compile reviews, and more. And I have already been stopped at least once from checking out a non-fiction book that I forgot I already read years ago.
2. Reading eclectically- Overall, I probably read around 60% fiction titles and 40% non-fiction books. Within those categories, though, I love to read contemporary fiction, classics, memoirs, self-help, historical fiction, thrillers, science-fiction, historical narratives, social commentary, religious explorations, and about any genre where the title looks interesting. This mixture of genres keeps my reading life fresh and invigorating.
1. Making the time - Once, in college, I was on the 3rd floor of Calvin Hall. I had about 15 minutes in between classes, and pulled out a novel I was reading. Another student saw me, incredulous to her friends around her that anyone in college would have the time to read for pleasure. In the 15 minutes I was in the lounge area, I read my novel. In the 15 minutes this fellow student was there, she appeared to also use the time in in non-productive manner. We all have time to waste. We all have a little time to spare. For me, reading is important and I make it a priority. For others, this may be cooking, or baking, or spending time with friends, or watching TV, or surfing online, or a million different activities. Not everyone enjoys reading - but for those who do - I hope you are able to a find a few spare minutes here and there to enjoy. Because it is so very worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment