Friday, July 18, 2008

The Aristocats



One of Annika's favorite questions to ask is, "Is it the weekend or not?" Unfortunately, the majority of the time the answer is "not." However, after school today, the answer was "yes," since Friday night is really the start of the weekend, right? This means that Annika can watch a video, which from the way that she talks, is just about the highlight of her being.

This evening, she watched The Aristocats. I'd never seen this before and was pleasantly surprised. Most of what I remember from childhood as being terrifying (Bambi's mother is killed! Cinderella's step-mother is mean! Snow White's step-mother is evil! Pinocchio is really really creepy!) has, with the addition of my daughter, become even more inappropriate. Why oh why must all children's cinema have so much violence, doom, and eminent peril? [Complete aside - any of you remember The Care Bears movie? The memory of that one still creeps me out.]

But back to The Aristocats. It had cute kittens, was very sweet, and about the worst that happened was that the misguided butler tried to get rid of the cats - but no threat of death involved!

Which leads to another "aristocats" reference - Will tells me there is an entire movie devoted to comedians telling a joke about the "Aristocats," aka "the world's dirtiest joke." Figures - nothing that wholesome can go un-mined.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TGIF!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the entries on your blog. It is so much fun reading them and hearing about your family!! Thank you!!

Bekah said...

Probably better not let Annika watch the comedians; talk about over exposure. Yikes! Do you have VeggieTales? They are awesome; I started stock piling them for when I get around to having kids.

4 is More said...

I've never really seen Veggie Tales - I believe they show them at church sometimes, but that is about all I know. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to see if they rent them.