Monday, July 21, 2008

The Sunset State?

I came across an interesting article from Time from a couple of weeks ago on why Florida is in trouble right now.

It opens like this:

"Greetings from Florida, where the winters are great! Otherwise, there's trouble in paradise. We're facing our worst real estate meltdown since the Depression. We've got a water crisis, insurance crisis, environmental crisis and a budget crisis to go with our housing crisis. We're first in the nation in mortgage fraud, second in foreclosures, last in high school graduation rates...." Click here to read the rest.

As a current 3-year resident of the Sunshine State, I thought a lot of the observations were dead-on. We love the wonderful people we have gotten to know here, our college, church, daycare, the close proximity of theme parks, and yes, the great winters. But I must say that I have never appreciated Kansas and the rest of the Midwest quite as much.

4 comments:

Charlie Thornton said...

Kansas is Awesome Merchandise:

http://www.cafepress.com/myfavoritestate/2181830

PS: More kitten pix plz

4 is More said...

Oh yes, who could forget the Awwwwwww....Kansas campaign(produced by the state that was/is dead last in tourism spending).

Anonymous said...

There's no place like home!! I agree with Dorothy!!

Bekah said...

I'm with you Ames, I never realized what I had in Kansas until I left and lived in crazy LA for a few years. I'm in the midst of a serious homesick phase at the moment. But let's not forget the most important aspect of Kansas per Miss Annika...it has snow!! Who needs tourism when you have snow and black ice?