I gave an invited presentation today at my tax conference for the doctoral consortium called, "If I Could Do It Over Again." The audience were PhD students in tax and the presentation was a career advice segment for doctoral students.
I am not sure if I was the best person to give this talk. I am far less successful than any other invited speakers today. I also do not have many career regrets.
There are definitely areas I would approach differently: I would be better prepared to start a PhD program. I would worry less about others' opinions. I would worry less, period.
But I am also happy with my career. Maybe I could have gone to a PhD-granting department at another university and worked with doctoral students - but then I would have missed out on the wonderful opportunities from working at my alma mater. Maybe I could have specialized more narrowly in a particular niche area instead of the broader focus I have - but then I would have missed out on the amazing projects I have been able to undertake with an array of co-authors. Maybe I could have worked more hours on research - but then I would have missed out on so many everyday moments with my family.
Everything comes at a cost. Every investment we make in work, our career, our life, represents resources we have diverted from another path. All choices have trade-offs.
So while I had a strong case of imposter syndrome today, I am content with the choices I have made. Which is the most important criteria of all.


No comments:
Post a Comment