I started reading the book
Maid on January 27th. This book came highly reviewed, with reviewers touting it as a quick read, so I assumed I would finish quickly. But it is a month later and I am only on page 73. In the interim, I have read no other books because I always felt I "should" be reading this book.
Beginning a book is much like making many other plans: We assume we will finish what we start. We often think carefully before taking on a project to ensure we will see it to fruition. But sometimes, the optimal choice is to abandon what we are working on so we have the space and energy for other projects that will bring us more joy.
The deeper I am into a book, the harder it is for me to abandon it. The deeper I am into a project, the harder it is for me to quit. Sunk costs should be irrelevant from an economic perspective - but from an emotional lens, it is difficult to let go of time, energy, effort we have poured into an endeavor.
Finishing what we start is a laudable goal. I believe we should not take commitments lightly. But sometimes, we are holding on to commitments, plans, projects right for us in a season - but which no longer are the optimal choice. Or perhaps we never should have made this commitment in the first place, had we been better informed. Or perhaps clinging to something that no longer has value is holding us back from embarking on better, bolder, bigger opportunities.
With
Maid, I finally decided last night to abandon this book completely. I have racked up 14 days of late fees because each day, I tried to convince myself now was the time I would make progress in the book. Each day, I felt guilty I did not care about reading any more. I have frittered away a month on something I should have abandoned much earlier. I felt instant relief when I gave myself permission to move on to other books I felt more compelled to read.
If there is something in your life, large or small, nagging out you to set it free so you can move on - now is the time to let it go.
No comments:
Post a Comment