When I turned 30, I had just graduated with my PhD, had two beautiful kids, and was ready to embark on a year of interviewing for a professor position while Will finished his degree and we figured out where our next stage of life would take us. The world was my oyster and it still felt like we were on one big adventure.
I turned 35 a few months ago. I also submitted my tenure file not long ago, which, if successful means we will be in Mamhattan, KS for a very long time. These two events have me thinking about what it is like to be 35. I read a beautiful essay a while back called "This is 38," and I can relate to so much of what the author said. Because...
35 is not yet middle age, but is instead like a bridge between young adulthood and middle age.
35 is watching our friends start to lose their parents - and it is no longer a shocking event.
35 means that if we were to have another baby (or, like many couples, if we were to start having babies now), my pregnancy would be classified as high risk due to "advanced maternal age."
35 is realizing that we have less than 8 years with both children still living at home. (Or maybe not. Life is full of surprises)
35 is both acne and wrinkles. At the same time.
35 is softer. Softer body, softer music, softer opinions.
35 is making peace that my body will never look I did when I was 17. But it is beautiful and strong in its own way.
35 is watching the wiry gray hairs on my head breed and multiply, but making peace with that, too.
35 is accepting that some things just are. I will probably always veer close to depression. I might always Live a Medicated Life. Compared to other crosses that others are asked to bear, mine is light and so minor.
35 is accepting that some people just are the way they are.
35 is realizing that nothing is (usually) personal.
35 is yoga pants and maxi skirts that feel like yoga pants.
35 is chocolate. Lots of chocolate. And for most people, wine.
35 is joy. 35 is peace. 35 is life.
What characterizes the life stage you are at?

No comments:
Post a Comment