Monday, July 22, 2013

It's Getting Better All the Time

It's getting better all the time
I used to get mad at my school (No, I can't complain)
The teachers who taught me weren't cool( No, I can't complain)
You're holding me down
Turning me round
Filling me up with your rules

I've got to admit it's getting better (Better)
It's a little better all the time (It can't get no worse)
I have to admit it's getting better (better) 
It's getting better…. 
-The Beatles, It’s Getting Better All the Time

I think it is so easy to focus on all of the ways that the education system today is worse than when we went through school ourselves 25+ years ago. From high-stakes testing, the potential loss of classroom anatomy, a shift away from “traditional” education methods (although another faculty member talks of “New Math” textbooks published in 1954), and the potential loss of autonomy and independence for our youth with the rise of “helicopter” parenting, it is easy to feel negative and overwhelmed with a sense that education today just isn’t what it used to be.

Yet I think that in many ways, our children’s education and school experiences are much better in today’s environment than when I was a child. I have based this assessment on the very scientific method of Comparing Anecdotes, which we all know is the most convincing way to make an argument. ;) I went to eight elementary schools in six years, while Annika has attended two elementary schools in four years. Based on this very scientific process, here are 10 ways in which Education Today is Better than It Used to Be.

10. Before and After School Care – When my mom went back to work when I was in 4th grade and Julie was in 1st grade, we became Latchkey Kids. When we moved to Junction City at the beginning of 5th grade, we became part of a Whole Neighborhood of Latchkey Kids, who did fun things like roam all over frozen ponds, stomp on them until the ice cracked, and lose our shoes. I am not exaggerating when I say That! Was! Awesome! However, as a parent now, I am so, SO happy that both schools we have been a part of (and all of the schools in the district) have on-site before- and after-school care, where the children are very well-taken care of. I honestly could not imagine being a working parent today, especially with younger elementary-aged children, without this wrap-around care.

9. STEM Focus – There were some years when I literally had NO science coverage in elementary school, and others where “science” for the year consisted of looking up an encyclopedia article on “the sun.” Especially in Manhattan, Annika has had consistent, hands-on science coverage, from raising chicks and frogs in 2nd grade to the many STEM clubs available in the after-school program, such as “What’s Inside the Earth?” and “Engineering in Action.”

8. School Lunches – There is a lot of press today over the lack of quality in school lunches. While there is obviously still much room for improvement, I honestly think they are much better, because (1) no one has ever been served green hot dogs and (2) fruits and vegetables are actually a part of every meal instead of a solid rotation of Super Greasy Fried Crap.

7. Physical Education – This has improved in multiple ways. In every.single.school that I attended, P.E. was only offered once a week; Annika has had P.E. 2 or 3 times a week at both schools she has attended. Even more importantly, there has been a huge shift to making P.E. focused on life-long health and fitness for all, rather than a potentially humiliating experience of Who Got Picked Last in Gym Class.

6. Special Education – I think this is one of the most amazing changes in the past 25+ years; a much, MUCH greater sensitivity toward children with special needs. I know that when I was in school “retarded” was a word bandied about by children and teachers alike as an insult. And not only that, but I think when I was a child there was a great deal of stigma in being “labeled” – it seemed that parents would go out of their away to avoid having a label attached to a child, even if that meant denying helpful services. I think there is a MUCH healthier attitude today and, in our experiences with our own children, the stigma by all parties been greatly reduced. Oh, and as part of special education, I am heartened to see that Annika actually *does* something in her gifted classes, instead of what I did, which was….sit around? J

5. Math – I am of two minds of this. On the one hand, I kind of wish that math instruction were more “traditional” with more rote memorization and “kill and drill” exercises. But on the other hand, I love the emphasis on actually understanding the rationale behind concepts such as multiplication.

4. Libraries – At every elementary school that I attended, the library was a very quiet place to be visited with reverence once a week to check out a book (and a place to fear if you were overdue in returning your book). Annika’s library experience at her school in Manhattan is completely the opposite – they can go to the library EVERY DAY to check out a book, and the librarian puts on a variety of hands-on programs. I think that this mirrors the (positive) changes in children’s programming at public libraries, too.

3. Less Competition - Again, another area that I am of two minds about. When I was in school, competition was really emphasized – we would do “Around the World” contests in math to see who was the fastest, lots of competition over spelling, etc. I am a naturally somewhat competitive person J and enjoyed it. However, I know that Will hated these types of activities and given Annika’s personality, I am sure she would, too. There is a much greater emphasis now on cooperation and teaching the children how to work in teams instead of just throwing them to the wolves. For many students, like Annika, I see this change as a huge positive.

2. Actual Art Class and “Specials” – Out of the 8 elementary schools I attended, one did have an actual art class, so it is probably a stretch to say that no one used to have art specialists. But I love that Annika has tons of hands-on art experience at school, including an actual kiln for pottery. There are also other interesting “specials” that I never encountered, including Math Enrichment and Guidance.   

1. Inclusive – Overall, I think that this is the biggest and most positive change in education. There is such an incredible emphasis now on being inclusive of all children, not bullying, and treating everyone with kindness and respect. When bullying happened when I was a child (pretty much all.the.time, as I am sure it has since the dawn of civilization), the attitude of teachers was “kids will be kids!” I am super happy that there is not only an anti-bullying emphasis, but the children are taught what to do if they encounter such situations. (Annika would say, “Be a G!” Whatever the heck that is…) Although when I talked to Annika about bullying, she responded in shock and said, “No one is bullied at Bergman! We aren’t allowed.”

And beyond that, I love the emphasis on including all children, from making sure that Valentine’s Day cards are made for all students in the class to not sending out birthday invitations at school (unless all are invited). I know that there is a lot of hand-wringing that such actions might be turning children into A Nation of Wimps. But I like to think we are really teaching our children how to live life with kindness and respect.

6 comments:

Nic said...

It's funny how education is still so different. We do not have a STEM focus at all! Pete's biggest complaint about 2nd grade is that he didn't do "real" science (they did 1 module on motion, and I explained how that was science, he told me I was a better science teacher than his teacher!).
Our elementary school only has library once a week, but the kids enjoy it (I don't remember having library at all!) and I think I had gym twice a week (at least in HS).
Overall, I do agree, it's better, but I'd like to still see more!

4 is More said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Nic!! It is so interesting hearing what different schools/regions do. And I totally agree - we can *definitely* keep getting better.

Dad said...

And another view:

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey teacher leave them kids alone
All in all it's just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Dad said...

I missed most of the music of the 80s. Two youngeters, instead. I first heard "Brick in the Wall" when one of my Calc 1 students started singing it midway through an exam he was floundering on.

Dad said...

More relevant comments:

Latchkey: None in the 1950s-60s. Formal education happens mainly in the classroom. Social education happens when you're with peers and no parents. We had a lot more time for that back then. Lot of heartbreaks along the way.

Competition and Inclusion: Loved those math races at the chalk board, trying to be the last man standing. The (non-thug-wannabes) kids at SE High today, though, are much kinder as a rule than the kids at JC in the 1960s. I suspect that's true everywhere.

4 is More said...

Love that song! I always thought of it as from the 1970s but it was November 1979. A classic!

And yes, I guess I place a high value on kindness, even if it comes at the expense of other attributes.