As sly as
a fox, as strong as an ox
As fast as a hare, as brave as a bear
As free as a bird, as neat as a word
As quiet as a mouse, as big as a house
All I wanna be, all I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
As mean as a wolf, as sharp as a tooth
As deep as a bite, as dark as the night
As sweet as a song, as right as a wrong
As long as a road, as ugly as a toad
As pretty as a picture hanging from a fixture
Strong like a family, strong as I wanna be
Bright as day, as light as play
As hard as nails, as grand as a whale
All I wanna be oh, all I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
Everything at once
Everything at once, oh
Everything at once
As warm as the sun, as silly as fun
As cool as a tree, as scary as the sea
As hot as fire, cold as ice
Sweet as sugar and everything nice
As old as time, as straight as a line
As royal as a queen, as buzzed as a bee
As stealth as a tiger, smooth as a glider
Pure as a melody, pure as I wanna be
All I wanna be oh, all I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
Everything at once
As fast as a hare, as brave as a bear
As free as a bird, as neat as a word
As quiet as a mouse, as big as a house
All I wanna be, all I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
As mean as a wolf, as sharp as a tooth
As deep as a bite, as dark as the night
As sweet as a song, as right as a wrong
As long as a road, as ugly as a toad
As pretty as a picture hanging from a fixture
Strong like a family, strong as I wanna be
Bright as day, as light as play
As hard as nails, as grand as a whale
All I wanna be oh, all I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
Everything at once
Everything at once, oh
Everything at once
As warm as the sun, as silly as fun
As cool as a tree, as scary as the sea
As hot as fire, cold as ice
Sweet as sugar and everything nice
As old as time, as straight as a line
As royal as a queen, as buzzed as a bee
As stealth as a tiger, smooth as a glider
Pure as a melody, pure as I wanna be
All I wanna be oh, all I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
Everything at once
I absolutely love this song by Lenka. First reason is
because it is well, Lenka, and she has a beautiful voice. And the second reason
is whenever I heard this song, I think, “ME TOO!!” I feel like my whole goal in
life has been to BE EVERYTHING AT ONCE!!!
So many of my life choices have been about finding ways to
be everything, all at once. Will and I somehow found a way to both go back to
school to get our PhDs at the same time with a one-year-old daughter in tow at
the beginning of our journey. Three years later, when the crappy student health
insurance suddenly magically covered maternity benefits, we managed to have
another baby. We disagree over who had it rougher following the birth of our son
(clearly, it was me, ME! J)
but are united in the thought that the following year was the most stressful of our
lives. And a year later, we somehow managed to find a solution to The Two-Body
Problem of academia and both find great jobs at our alma mater, but also had
the distinct privilege of being two people who are each very career focused
with two young children who, well, we love and enjoy spending time with.
So I feel like my life has been devoted to trying to be EVERYTHING AT ONCE to everyone. And although I am such an Undomestic Goddess, I still want to achieve at everything that I *do* do. My
goals when starting at our new jobs were simple: 1. Make Tenure and 2. Take
Care of My Family (and not necessarily in that order!). But then somehow it
changed to also include, 3. Serve on Every Volunteer Organization Possible, and
4. Become an Awesome Runner, and 5. Make
the Kids Participate in Every Activity that they Can (even though they don’t
really like activities), and, and, and…
It is EXHAUSTING trying to do and be everything at once. And I
don’t have any easy solution for how to stop, but I do know that I want to, and
just be able to enjoy life without feeling like I am on this constant hamster
wheel.
Have you ever felt
that you had to be “everything at once”? How did you stop?

5 comments:
I think one of the keys to contentment is avoiding external expectations whenever possible. If you want to excel at something because YOU truly want to, that is great. Things get rough when you start doing things because you feel pressured into it.
I think the hardest area for me to avoid getting wrapped up in external issues is with raising a family. I generally know what I need to do to be successful at work (not that I can necessarily pull it off, but I know what is required). I have NO true path for raising children into well adjusted, happy adults. It seems like I always find myself questioning what I'm doing with regard to the kids when I see snippits of other peoples family lives and they all seem to be doing so well. I think it is easy to start doing things that you think other people expect you (or your kid) to do instead of what would really make everyone happy... especially if you start worrying that doing something to make everyone happy is just doing them some long term disservice because the kids have to learn to do things they don't necessarily want to in life. I never know if I'm actually doing the right thing.
Ehh... I'm clueless ;)
Aww, thanks, Will. I am so glad we are in this together. :) I have no clue with kids. The big thing I keep thinking about are activities. I mean, it seems so simple - our kids don't really activities, so maybe we should just cut way back...but then I worry they are missing out on life skills!
Definitely First World Problems, though. :) And I am equally clueless!
I love you guys! (In a platonic way, not a weird stalker-ish way.) Something resonated with Will's response of, "I see snippits of other peoples family lives and the all seem to be doing so well." I sometimes do the same thing and have to force myself to:
1.) Remind myself this is a snippit.
2.) Grab a little perspective.
3.) Take a deep breath, and let it out.
Raising a family is the hardest thing ever. Rewarding. Frustrating. Magical. Dumbfounding.
All any of us can do as parents is love our kids, give it our best, resolve to be better, and forgive ourselves. We make mistakes. It's the getting up from the mistakes that makes us (and the kiddos) better.
Aww, thank you, Monica! I love you too! And you wold NEVER been a weird stalker. :) That comment with Will's about the "snippets" really resonates with me, too, and I will confess I am guilty of sometimes letting that influence my own decisions.
Your post brought tears to my eyes, and it is SO TRUE!
I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up, so I didn't.
If there's any advantage to being male and losing your father at a young age, it's that later there's no pressure to be anything. You're free to just become. And I did.
Really, the secret is to marry well. I did. Both of my girls did. Everything else takes care of itself after that.
Post a Comment