Tonight my sister Julie and I decided to participate in a very special moms' night out celebration - Holiday Yoga. The plan was to gather at a local donut shop in Aggieville for beer, head over to the used bookstore to partake in some yoga exercises, and head back over to the donut shop for hot donuts. I saw this event listed and just knew I had to participate - FREE donuts AND beer??
Unfortunately, once we arrived in Aggieville, the following problems occurred:
1. We had to carry our yoga mats down the street. Yes. Do you know how ridiculous it feels to be lugging a giant log-shaped yoga mat down through the college bar district? Very.
2. The local bookstore where yoga to be held looked packed. (Other people had also stumbled upon my great idea??) We were there early and I am not honestly sure where people were going to put their yoga mats. As it was, they were being squeezed in on the floor among the shelves. I think the next step would be to put the mats actually on the books.
3. Most importantly, the people there did not look like us, donut-lovers who had decided to do this event for the free stuff. They looked like people who had actually practiced yoga before. As in, genuine yogis.
I tried to express to Julie that as a rule-follower, it was important that we stick this out - I had added the event on the calendar of a local moms' group and felt that I would be breaking the law if I bailed. However, Julie convinced me that the whole purpose of the event was to eat donuts and drink beer and that we should just do that.
What commenced was an absolutely lovely evening at nearby Houlihan's. Julie ordered "the skinny yogi" drink, an apt choice for the evening, but not nearly as awesome tasting as the skinny raspberry mojito.
Then, tragedy (karma?) struck - Houlihan's had changed its menu and no longer sold donuts with the awesome dipping sauce. Nooooooooo! Our waitress convinced us that the new ice cream sundae was divine. She was right.
I hope that our children will grow up to have as close of a relationship as Julie and I do. Having a sister is one of the best things in the world, and one of my favorite parts of living in Manhattan is that we are only a half mile apart and can see each other almost every day. I sometimes worry with our children being of opposite genders who are 4 years apart that they won't be as close when they grow up. But who knows how their adult relationships will turn out. All I know is that sister time is some of the best time in the world!
When to Pivot and When to Stay the Course
4 days ago





2 comments:
Wonderful story about two wonderful sisters - and daughters!
Aww, thanks, Dad! Love you!
Post a Comment