Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It's Raining Money


Above is Daniel's picture, titled, "It's Raining Money!!" This is Daniel's dream - he will wake up one day, and it will be raining money! Why would that be such a great day? "Then I wouldn't have to worry about getting fired!"

Poor Daniel has been very worried recently about growing up, where he will have to do very hard things like work and be a parent. In fact, he has recently said that he doesn't want to be a parent because "it seems really hard" (hard to argue with!) and that he wants to "be retired" when he grows up.

Last night on our car ride home from daycare, I attempted to explain why it is important to work when you are a grown-up - so that you can make money and afford things like food and a place to live. Our conversation then went something like this:

Daniel - "But what if your job is very hard and you mess up???"

Me - "That's okay! Everyone makes mistakes! The important thing is that you just do your best and keep trying!"

Daniel - "But what if you keep trying and trying but you still do everything wrong???? Will you go to jail???"

Me - "Oh no, you wouldn't go to jail for messing up on accident! The worst thing that could happen is you could get maybe, MAYBE get fired."

[In hindsight - heck, at the time when I said this - this was a HUGE MISTAKE. A 4-year old boy who is already freaking out about an imaginary future where he goes to jail for messing up at an imaginary job does not need to be exposed to the idea of "being fired" quite yet.]

So, upon learning that being "fired" did not involve a cannon but involved losing your job, Daniel decided that that was a Fate Worse Than Death.

Daniel - "So if I got "fired" I could still get another job?? But I think I would be too sad to get another job. I would be SO SAD. I just want to live at Nonnie's house and be retired. And I want you and Dad to live with me there."

So coming full circle, Daniel's picture this morning was his way to solve the problem of having to work to earn money but having the very small possible risk of getting fired and feeling sad. Maybe someday, instead of Raining Men, it will Rain Money!

No comments: