Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Best Book (and Parent) Ever

Last night, I started reading the best parenting book ever written about Annika. I'd forgotten I'd ordered this from the library until it showed up. (In unparalleled customer service, our county library deliverers all books on hold to your doorstep. For free.) Unlike most other parenting books, this one described Annika. (Kids that stop crying after you ignore them for 3 minutes? Um. Yeah.) And, it nailed the whole TV-watching-makes-me-crazy problem, which has me sold.

Per the Very Scientific Quiz in the book, Annika is a "Spirited Introvert." It also had a whole chapter in the beginning about understanding how you are as a parent. Will is a "Cool Parent." I am a "Spirited Parent." I am shocked, shocked I say!

Continuing on the string of bests, I am on my way to becoming a Best Parent Ever, but the Best Parent Ever is still Better than me. Are you?

http://bestparentever.com/best-parent-ever-quiz-find-your-bpe-score.htm

10 comments:

Bekah said...

How weird is it that I took the quiz and I'm not a parent? Yeah, I was afraid of that...

Three cheers for the "spirited" people!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great book, Amy!! I think a generation ago parents had a comparable book, "The Strong-Willed Child".

Anonymous said...

That test was a kick! Talk about tongue in cheek to the extreme! I'm going to check out that book!!

Charlie Thornton said...

I actually scored a zero - is that bad?

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Charlie.... the worst parent ever! I scored a 5/100 so I'm sooo much better ;)

4 is More said...

Will, how did you score lower than I did? Did you not think that camping in the natural history museum (climate-controlled paradise!) sounded more fun than camping outside (bugs! dirt! heat! humidity! rain!)?!

I think that it is awesome that some non-parents took the quiz. :-)

Cindy Hill said...

We have read this book as well! Definitely is a helpful one for those of us with kids who are "more" :)

Brian Hill said...

Wanna see my score? Here it is:

Finished? Press 'Check my answers' to find your B.P.E. #

Then, I scrolled to the top and read that it doesn't work on Firefox. Too bad for me, IE and I are not on speaking terms right now.

Anonymous said...

That quiz was funny! I scored a 4. What does that mean?

At least I beat Charlie! :)

4 is More said...

Boo for sites not supporting Firefox!I tried to boycott IE back when Netscape was still a viable option but gave up.

I am enjoying the book, but it is funny in parts. The chapter on sleep talks about the importance of a bedtime routine and has a couple they interviewed in there saying, "Wow! What a great idea! We had never heard of a bedtime routine!" Do some kids go to bed without a routine?!

Oh and Julie, it looks like you are SO not a best parent ever (J/K). Poor Daisy. :-)