My theme for this year is JOY. When I was a child, I felt joy bubble up daily in small occurrences. Reading on my back on the couch, holding a book splayed open in one hand, my heart thumping as I moved toward the story's climax. The satisfaction of practicing the same tricky runs on the piano for an hour when at last the melody emerged as written. The pointed edge of a blade of grass tickling my foot when I skipped barefoot in our shaded backyard.
As we grow older, these moments of joy may feel elusive. Spacious weekend days previously reserved for reading become crowded with paying bills, running errands, taxiing children about town. Large blocks of time to observe the ecosystem of the backyard become overrun with making dinner, giving baths to small children, trying to survive. Tasks which previously brought us joy are often cast aside as we concentrate on basic needs.
My goal this year is to recover these moments of buried joy. To pause a moment longer to admire the tree limbs encased with the stillness of snow. To carve out time to lie propped up on my elbows in bed, pouring over a book. To close my eyes and take in each note played on the organ during the prelude at Sunday church. To prioritize my need for joy.
I think we can all use more joy in our lives. And I would love for you to join me on this journey.

No comments:
Post a Comment