Recently, I have seen an article making the rounds on social media titled something like, "Parents, Going to Every One of Your Kid's Games Matters." I have very mixed feelings on this sentiment. On the one hand, I agree that the more you can show your children you care about them and are invested in their lives, the better.
But I feel articles such as this just make people feel guilty. I know very few people who can go to all of their kids' games. Some are balancing multiple children. Some are working inflexible jobs. Some superstars are single parents and are juggling everything.
And perhaps because my children are not very interested in activities, but I do not feel that attending organized activities where children are taking part is the only way to be involved in their lives. Can we agree that instead of saying that going to all of our kids' games is what matters - that everything we do with our children matters?
There are endless ways to be invested in our children's lives, and this will look differently for every family. This could be:
- Reading stories out loud to our children.
- Snuggling up with our kids at bedtime.
- Working hard to make sure our children are fed, clothed, and bathed.
- Talking to them about their day.
- Smiling at them when they wake up.
- Following through on promises made.
- Asking our children their opinions.
- Telling them you love them.
- Going to every one of their games.
Parents, there is no way to be a perfect parent, but there are so many paths to be a good one. It all matters.


No comments:
Post a Comment