My 5th grader's school has an annual "Holiday Gift Mart" project that students complete as part of a financial literacy unit. Each student takes out a loan (to be repaid with interest and with underlying collateral) from their parents for up to $30. The student then uses the loan to purchase items to make and sell at a school-wide "Holiday Gift Mart." Students assemble at least 25 of each item and decide how to price them. Students then sell the items for real money during a December afternoon to all other students in attendance at the elementary school; students who sell all of their items display a "Sold Out" sign.
My daughter attended a different elementary school and did not participate in this assignment, so I feel very much like a first-time mom with these parameters. My son came home from school today and announced he was going to sell "painted rocks." He enjoys painting and thought it would be a fun project, and was thinking that since his materials are cheaper, it would be easier to make a profit.
I am struggling with how much help and input to provide. On the one hand, I am happy that he has a project idea, and firmly believe this needs to be his own project. On the other hand, I feel that the tacit understanding is that parents need to have some degree of involvement in this particular project - especially in guiding toward a project selection that might be received favorably by other elementary-school shoppers spending real dollars.
And this is so true of life and our children growing up. How much advice to share, particularly when such advice is unsolicited. How much assistance to give when asked, or not asked. How much to stand back and watch our children make their own decisions, knowing that they very well may fail. How much to jump in and how much to watch from the shore.
I am not yet sure what direction we will go. But I am trying very hard to remember that my kids are the ones who ultimately have to live their lives.


No comments:
Post a Comment