I wrote a blog post yesterday on reasons why Facebook is Slowly Killing Me. One of my best friends wisely commented that I must get some joy out of the platform, or else I would not use it. That is completely true. I absolutely love Facebook and will never quit, even when the site frustrates me at times. Here are seven reasons why....
7. Staying in touch with long-lost friends. I have dear friends from times we have lived other places whom I am able to stay in touch with on a day-to-day basis. It feels at times like we never left.
6. Making new friends. There are some people - even in Manhattan! - whom I know much better on Facebook than in real life. I treasure these interactions and would miss them if I were to quit interacting on the site.
5. Groups. Being involved with groups is one of my favorite parts of Facebook. Several are ones that are spin-off from other boards (Runners' World, BabyCenter), some of them are ones that I started (Academic Moms, moms of teen girls, moms of elementary boys), and others are ones that I joined (Church Ladies, another moms' group). Interacting with these groups is one of the highlights of being online for me.
4. Polls. I started posting polls on my page around 2014, and I absolutely love it. I love seeing a glimpse into people's lives and learning facts about them that people would not usually share. About half the time, friends request polls, and I try to come up with questions the other half of the time.
3. Community involvement. I feel like I am much more in touch with what is going on with our community because of Facebook. When do tickets go on sale for the local theater production? When does registration open for kids' art classes? All on Facebook.
2. Seeing pictures. Okay, I love ANYTHING my friends post - but I especially love seeing pictures of kids and families and babies and happy memories. This is true both of long-lost and nearby friends, as well as casual acquaintances and bosom buddies. It's all wonderful.
1. It's helped me find my voice. This last one is a bit unusual - but, believe it or not, I used to be a pretty private person. Or at least more private than I am now. Posting and interacting on Facebook has helped me open up, figure our my voice, and share who I am with the world.
So, in a nutshell, even though Facebook annoys me (and all of us) at times, the joy I obtain from the platform far outweighs the negatives. And for that, I am grateful that it continues to be a part of my life.
What about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment