A strong ribbon in the narrative we tell ourselves and our children is that if we make all of the right choices and go down a so-called "optimal" path, that nothing bad will ever happen. That is, of course, a lie. But I also think there is a strong message that if we ever make a mistake and make a decision that is less than optimal that our life is somehow doomed or off course. So much of my own life consists of decisions that no guidance counselor would ever advise a student to make. But very often these same decisions are what have guided me, molded me, and shaped me into the person I am today. Such as . . .
5. Get Married at 18. This is something that no one in the History of Ever would recommend. I mean, I can't in good faith advise it as a blanket recommendation, either. But I had no doubt when I met Will that we were destined to spend our lives together, and I have no regrets over beginning that journey at a very young age.
4. Officially Change my Major 5 Times. I graduated (still in 4 years, thankfully) with 171 undergraduate credits and a double-major in Accounting and Finance, thanks to a very meandering path that I took to get there. I would never have ended up in my dream career if I had not first explored other options.
3. Had a Child at 24. Okay, this is one that I don't think of as a mistake at all - but did you know that official governmental statistics on teen pregnancy include births where the mother is as old as 24? Even if you are married, own a home, work as a CPA, and have a graduate degree, you, too, can still be counted as part of the teen pregnancy numbers. No regrets.
2. Gave Up Everything at 25. This is still surreal to think about - that after working so hard to establish security, that Will and I chose to sell our house, move away from family, and take our 1-year-old baby with us to move to Florida so that we could live as poor PhD students. I think of this as the single-most life-shaping decision that Will and I ever made together, even as I still wonder if I would have the same courage to do it again.
1. Choose to Work at a Less Prestigious School. I feel very awkward sharing this one, but here it goes. When I graduated with my PhD, I was fortunate enough to have 9 job offers at universities across the country. Some of them were at universities that some might consider as more prestigious than K-State. All of them paid better than K-State. But I thank God each and every day that I chose to work here, live here, and do life in this community.
I truly do not think there is one right path, one right answer, one right decision for each of us. Instead, God is with us and works with us in whatever circumstances we may find. And for that, I am truly and completely blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment