Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The 5 Stages of Injuries



This week has seen several very minor health setbacks for our family - I found out that my foot is broken with a hairline fracture and cannot exercise for 6 weeks, I learned that I have a cavity (oh, the shame!), and my son is currently battling a fever/stomach bug. We are truly incredibly blessed health-wise and these are probably the most minor events of all time. But despite the very minor nature of these set-backs, I am convinced that there are still 5 Stages that you go through with any kind of injury or illness. Such as . . .

Stage 1, Denial: I am the BEST at denial. I am convinced that I could live in this stage forever. For instance, with my foot, I waited a good solid week after hurting it before I had it checked out, and that was only because my husband (and all of my family members) insisted. During that time, I also continued to run on it and go to boot camp, but who is counting? Denial is the best.

Stage 2, Anger: This was primarily the case for my cavity. I have this deeply ingrained sense of shame and failure whenever I learn that I have anything wrong with my teeth, so of course my first reaction was, "What do you mean?! I floss every day!!" It's a very healthy stage, let me tell you what. ;)

Stage 3, Bargaining: "Please don't my son be sick. I promise to be patient and kind and loving forever and ever and ever. Oh. Whoops. Definitely sick. Well, please don't vomit again, please not until I have cleaned up the carpet. Oh. Whoops." This type of bargaining never works, but it's good to have at least some sense of false hope.

Stage 4, Depression: I think this is the stage I am currently in with my foot and not being able to run, go to boot camp, or even go on regular walks. I am positive that I can feel my fitness slipping away by the minute. Running the half marathon that I registered for in March is looking less and less likely. This is actually a pretty terrible time of year to be outside, but I am convinced that I would have nothing but Intense Running Joy if I were actually able to run now. Oh, the First World Problem! ;)

Stage 5, Acceptance: Whenever I look back at blog entries from when the kids were sick, I am always amazed at how much emotional energy I wasted in worrying and fretting when Everything Always Turns Out Fine. And I know that everything will truly be fine in the end, because it is. But in the mean time, I think I might eat just a little bit more chocolate... ;)

No comments: