Friday, January 8, 2016

2016: One Little Word


One of my traditions each year is to make a bunch of New Year's Resolutions, get overwhelmed, and then quit and fail them all in a spectacular fashion. So in addition to limiting myself to just one true "resolution" this year (to exercise every.single.day), I am adopting the "One Little Word" approach to the year.

The goal with "One Little Word" is to pick a theme word for the year to, as blogger Ali Edwards puts it, "focus on, reflect on, and meditate on" as you go about your daily life (click here for original source). I personally think this is a great idea - rather than adopting a million goals that are breathing down your neck, you choose one theme word to guide your actions for the year.

As soon as I read about this concept, my word for 2016 immediately came to mind: Generous. I want to be generous with my time, generous with my resources, generous with my energy, and generous in my interactions with all around me. I want to carry out our church's guiding values of dignity, hospitality, compassion, spiritual growth, discipleship, and community with generous enthusiasm. I want to stress and worry less, volunteer and give back more, and do it all with a generous spirit of gratitude. I am really excited to see what journeys this theme word will take me on!

Oh, and while my family has also each made a resolution for the year, they are adamantly not on board with this one little word business for themselves. Will has declared his word would be "indifference," while Annika is befuddled - "how can we tell what the theme of the year is until the year is over?!?" So it looks like perhaps we will all be practicing generosity together this year. ;)

What theme word would you choose for yourself this year? 

No comments: