Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Depression Lies


One of the most frustrating things about any chronic physical or mental condition is that it never goes away. Sometimes, it is tricky because you feel so well and so good and so functional, and then, bam! Out of the blue, a reminder that your condition is still there.

I have been feeling this way about my depression recently, something that I have battled since I was a teenager, but which I have been so aggressive about treating with medication and therapy and exercise and Doing All the Right Things over the past few years that I sometimes forget that I am still fighting it. But yet, deep down, it's still there, and will likely always be there. And one of the worst parts are the lies that it says:

- You aren't a good mom.
- You aren't productive enough at work.
- You are a bad person for feeling down when you have so much to be grateful for.
- You aren't enough.
- It will never get better.

And on, and on, and on. And even though I know that these are lies, and can call them out as such, these destructive thoughts can still have so much power.

If you are dealing with depression or another chronic condition, I am so very sorry. And if you are feeling that you aren't enough, please know that that is a lie. And that we can face this together.



1 comment:

Stacy said...

You are the most amazing, dear wonderful person I know. Thank you for being you.