If running were a boyfriend, I'd break up with him.
- Anonymous Internet Person
I did a 25K trail race last weekend with my dear friend Kim where we ran/walked, and I not only survived the running part, but actually enjoyed it. This enjoyment of running is a somewhat new experience in my life, as running and I have a long, tumultuous relationship.I first started running distance races when I was 8 years old. Unfortunately, I also seemed to peak at running when I was...8 years old. I ran cross country and track all through high school and I enjoyed the experience (especially cross country) but unfortunately, never seemed to get much better than when I was 8. In fact, my senior year of high school I think that half of my 2-mile races were slower than when I was 8 years old. This would not have been as big of a problem were I not running varsity cross country and track, where I would often come in....dead last place. (Despite the fact that I went to the LARGEST HIGH SCHOOL IN THE STATE, there was a definite dearth of girls interested in distance running and I needed to run varsity so that our team had enough people to compete.)
So after running cross country my senior year in high school, I decided that I was Breaking Up with Running. I did not go out for track that year and moreover, resolved to Never Ever Run Again in My Entire Life. I was surprisingly good at keep this promise until I was 30 years old. Especially since we moved Manhattan, I discovered that not only can I tolerate running, I actually like it now, and in fact, dare I say, love it at times. Here are the reasons why:
1. It's Cheap
No equipment, no gym membership, no fees - just show up and run. Well, except for running shoes. And clothes. And race fees can really add up. Well....it's cheaper than cycling. ;)
2. Running Buddies
Running with a partner is, oh, at least 12 times more fun than running alone. I am so lucky to have some of my best friends as running partners and it makes meeting to run in the morning about 48 times more pleasant than running solo. You can't socialize during a Zumba class, but you sure can bond and talk through all kinds of things during a run.
3. Biggest Endorphin High/Time Ratio
I think that I can get an endorphin high with 30 minutes of running. For cycling, I would need over an hour and for a yoga class, I would need about 4.5 hours.
4. Convenience
Running has got to be the most convenient sport there is. I love that you can do it anywhere, anytime, from midnight to early morning to the heat of the day.
5. Everyone Else is Doing It
I am such a lemming. Running today is about 17 times more popular than in the mid-1990s in high school. I am not sure if I would have tried it again if I hadn't seen so many other people giving it a go, but it was very freeing to see that there were people of all backgrounds embracing the sport.
I am such a lemming. Running today is about 17 times more popular than in the mid-1990s in high school. I am not sure if I would have tried it again if I hadn't seen so many other people giving it a go, but it was very freeing to see that there were people of all backgrounds embracing the sport.
6. Post-High School Races Rock
I LOVE races! There is nothing as motivating as signing up for and training for a race. I am really enjoying my goal of doing a road race every month. I think I still have a little bit of a post-high school hangover with race anxiety, but it is so freeing just to run a race where the only person who cares about the outcome is you.
7. The Running Community
Runners are some of the most supportive people in the planet - just go spectate at any marathon. The Running Interwebz Community is also full of tons of support and groups of people who have become friends.
8. Goals
I am of two minds about this - on the one hand, other areas of my life have enough self-imposed stress that I enjoy keeping running lower-key. I sometimes don't use a GPS and don't time my day-to-day runs so that I am not tempted to become crazy over the numbers. But on the other hand, there is something incredibly motivating about having a goal and working toward it, and running is a great outlet for that.
9. Being a Role Model for Our Kids
I am not sure how much our kids even care or pick up on this, but I love feeling like I am modeling the importance of physical activity for them.
10. Running is Magical
I kind of backed into running after I race-walked a half marathon race. I am a fast walker, love to walk, and had a ball....but for me personally, I discovered that there is something magical about running. My best half marathon race-walk time (2:50) is not really that much slower than my best half marathon run (2:30), but despite my slowness, I feel incredibly accomplished when I have finished running. And that is probably the thing I love most about running, that sense of accomplishment - that even though it is hot and it sucks and I am perpetually slow, I am out there.
Right now, neither of my kids seem particularly interested in running. Maybe that is good, because my daughter is already 11 years old and hence there is no chance that she will be tormented by her 8-year-old self in the future. :) I kind of secretly hope that some day they will also love running. But even if they don't, I hope they find some other outlet that brings them joy....and hopefully before they turn 30.

No comments:
Post a Comment