
So everyone - back up your data. Really. Actually back it up. Preferably every day. Because my hard drive at work officially crashed and is not recoverable. I'd been randomly backing stuff up, but never my email, and only the stuff I was working on at the moment when I thought about it. So the most recent back-up that I made was of my dissertation, in mid-July.
To avoid breaking down and sobbing all night, we're taking the kids to Chili's for dinner tonight. Celebration of idiocy, here we come!

5 comments:
I'm sorry for your misfortune, Amy. The distraction of going out to dinner sounds like the best thing you could do for the moment. It's too bad Dad can't assess your hard drive to see if there is any hope but surely someone on campus can, or maybe already has. Unless the drive is physically broken, it may possibly be recoverable.
Oh no!!! That's terrible, I'm so sorry.
Is there anyone who can look at the drive to see if they can recover anything?
Ug. That sucks. If it's worth a few hundred bucks to you, you do have some options...
If you hear grinding noises, the data might not be recoverable - otherwise, you've got a good chance of getting it back. Also, even if you do hear grinding, if you just have a particular thing you want back, it might have dodged the bullet.
If the data isn't recoverable, most of the "clean room" data recovery outfits don't charge you if they can't get your data back. Here are a couple:
www.aerodr.com ($279 flat fee)
www.datarecovery.net (??? fee)
Here's some reading material:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/saving-data-a-head-crash,1044.html
Cuss word, cuss word!
Thanks to everyone for the support and to Charlie for the helpful information. The drive is at an in-town place now getting an estimate on how much it will be to recover it...
Post a Comment