Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. This holiday will forever embody the anniversary of when Will and I became engaged to be married (
was it on Valentine's Day? The day before? Two days before? What defines "engaged"? Nobody knows.)
I have been reflecting over the last year over what our time together has meant. Clearly, we have defied the statistical odds by getting married so young, having known each other for so short a time, by making such a risky move. But it never felt risky at the time. It is only looking back in hindsight at everything we have overcome together that I can appreciate what a bold move that was.
Part of the problem with getting married when you are 18 years old to someone you have not known very long is that you can change. I am not the same person I was when I was 18 years old. Neither is Will. We have been fortunate that as each has grown and shifted and changed shape, the other has changed shape right alongside so we are just as tightly wound together as we ever were. Not every story has this ending.
The other problem with getting married so young is that it is easy to fall into deeply-entrenched patterns of behavior that are hard to shake later. Some of my rhythms from those early years were healthy. Some were not. But all have continued to shape me to do this day. We are lucky that we have been able to work through these issues.
So when I think of Valentine's Day, I think of how fortunate I am. How lucky I am to have built my life with someone who is my lobster. This Valentine's Day, I wish you similar luck. Because we are wired for connections - and having a deep connection with another being is the most spiritual experience I can imagine.
Happy Valentine's Day, Will. Here is to a lifetime of continuing to move forward together. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment