I started this blog in 2008, nearly 12 years ago. My commitment to blogging has waxed and waned over time, but I always find my way back. The purpose of my blog, too, has changed over this time. It began as an outlet of sharing daily happenings of our kids for our out-of-state family. It has evolved into an introspective mouthpiece of my innermost thoughts that would probably best be kept as a private journal.
I think this is the part of the problem. I have an intense, primal urge to write about what is on my mind. Not all of this is appropriate to share with a wide general audience, particularly because my story is tightly wound in to the story of other people's lives. Before I got sick in November, I wrote each day during the month - but did not share or publish those words. Getting the words down on paper is easy. Deciding if they are appropriate to share is harder.
Writing nourishes my soul. But, so, too, does sharing what I have written with the world. I love seeing if what I have written resonates with anyone beyond the confines of my mind. I love connecting with people and engaging in interactions, both online and in person. I think this connection is the reason many writers also strive to be published authors. Getting the words on paper is fulfilling, but sending these words out into the broader world is also a joy.
So where does this leave this blog? I never had a coherent theme for blogging beyond documenting the details of experiences that together make up a life. As my children have grown older, I have tried to be more careful about not publishing details that are not mine to share, of not sharing instances that are not my story to tell.
Perhaps I will develop a tighter theme for this blog, one that does not involve my children or parenthood or sharing thoughts that can invade anyone's privacy. Perhaps I will continue to share introspective ramblings appropriate to disseminate. But I know I will continue to blog in some shape or form. Because writing is a piece of who I am - and so, too, is sharing those words.

1 comment:
I wonder if you know how inspirational you are? I often read your blogs and posts, nodding my head along, smiling at your happiness, sad for your sorrows. Don't worry if your blog fits anyone's theme or design. Just like your children, revel in their uniqueness and wonder.
I blog to work through stuff, to vent, to share ... but essentially it's so I can go back, read about where I've been, and where I'm going.
K
Post a Comment