Tuesday, September 4, 2018

What To Do When Your Life is Falling Apart



My life feels kind of rocky right now for a variety of reasons. Some of them are major (one of my very best friends in the world is in extremely critical condition right now). Some of them are minor (being on crutches is challenging). Some of them are in between (one of my children is falling apart). 

Perhaps related and perhaps unrelated to the above, I am not in a good place at work right now. I am super behind on at least 27 deadlines. I wake up most mornings and think, "Whom Will I Disappoint Today??" I feel like I am constantly putting out fires but making little real progress on anything. 

The following options have crossed my mind in the past week as possibilities for dealing with the current state of affairs:

1. Quit my job. 

2. Move to Fiji and home-school my children. 

3. If 1 and 2 aren't possible, perhaps move to the overstuffed chair in the living room and never leave?? 

In all seriousness, though, sometimes life is rough. Sometimes all you can do is just keep plowing through it. I was talking with someone today whose great advice was, "Adjust your expectations this semester." I am not going to do great things this semester. I am not sure I am even going to do mediocre things this semester. But perhaps I can still come out alive, and that is a WIN! 

No comments: