One of my friends shared a hilarious article called
20 Signs I'm Too Tired to Mom (
click here), which you must read if you have not yet. I could identify with basically every single item on this list. Only, I realized, it was not just when I was tired -- this is pretty much my constant state of motherhood. So either I am tired all of the time or just lazy. Maybe both. Here are some of the things I do that make me think I, too, must be a tired/lazy/slacker mom:
10. Clothing. Have you seen my children's clothing choices? My only goal for the summer is basically that my children change clothes every day, which as it turns out is pretty hard to instill. My son wore a "Merry Christmas!" cat shirt last week, in July. My daughter has been known to wear animal-print shirts with non-matching animal-print pants. Heck, they even wear completely weather inappropriate clothes at times, and I generally let it go by telling myself they'll figure it out eventually.
9. Sleeping in Clothes. Part of the reason for not being able to wear new clothes every day is that my children frequently sleep in their clothes, particularly my tween daughter. Hey, no pajamas means even less laundry to do, so that's a win!
8. Signing up for Parties. When I know that a party or school appreciation sign-up is coming up, I try to stalk the sign-up list so that I can bring bottled water. Or paper goods. Or really anything that I can just by at the store that does not expose my extreme lack of creativity and artistic ability.
7. Planning Parties. When I've coordinated or co-coordinated parties in my kids' class, the games/activities typically involve items purchased straight from Oriental Trading Company (thank you, free shipping!). Having people over for parties at our house typically involves lots of Little Caesars' pizza and even more mayhem. I consider it a public service for people attending our parties that they can leave feeling better about themselves and the state of their house.
6. Throwing Money at Problems. Probably the biggest example of this is that we have a bi-weekly cleaning service, and have used one for the past six years. I feel somewhat guilty because this means that the kids have fewer chances to learn household skills, but my hatred of scrubbing toilets is stronger than my guilt, so here we are. ;)
5. Reading Time. I love to read. So one of the most ingenious ideas I had was to implement a family-wide "reading time" for 30 minutes a day. It was technically to encourage our reluctant-reader son to grow in his love of books, but, who am I kidding - I was just delighted that it gave me some extra time in each day to read guilt-free.
4. Nutrition. I refuse to believe that ketchup isn't a vegetable. If it's good enough for the USDA, surely it's good enough for me, right?! Please don't kill my dream . . .
3. Organized Activities. I feel kind of worried at times that my kids don't have any organized activities that they are truly passionate about. But then I think about how neither my husband nor I really did either at their ages, and hey, it's one less area to spend energy.
2. Bathing. Please don't tell me that swimming in a saltwater backyard pool isn't the time as taking a bath, because that will destroy my whole strategy for my children's hygiene.
1. Blogging. What have been doing the last bit of time? Not spending time with my kids -- instead, I've been blogging about being a mom. The irony is thick. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment