Tuesday, November 17, 2015

November Happenings

It's crazy to think that Thanksgiving is already next week! We've been up to all kinds of fun in November. Our biggest excitement was attending the celebratory Royals Celebration in Kansas City after the team's World Series victory! We pulled the kids out of school and both took off from work for the day. Daniel clearly looks in the picture below as if this was an unfair bargain. 


We left around 7am from Manhattan and swung by DeSoto to pick up Nonnie (Brenda). Our plan was to go to a park-and-ride stop in Olathe, but it appeared when we got there that there were literally thousands of other people waiting in the largest line I've ever seen with the same idea. We abandoned that idea and took side streets over until we were about 2.5 miles away and then walked the rest of the way.


Hiking on in. This was before the massive crowd of 800,000 people took down all cell service.


Getting closer!




We ended up settling in at a spot on the hill near Liberty Memorial. The parade route was far away but we could still see some.


We had stopped for a restroom break at McDonalds in the walk here, and after waiting in line for about 30 minutes (unless you were male....), we felt obligated to buy some food. The chicken nuggets ended up coming in handy - and the kids loved hanging out on the hill.


Giant crowd below. The street on the left-hand side is where the parade route came.


 See that giant baseball? Part of the parade! Woo hoo!


Will is trying to show Daniel what we are seeing in the far off land.


I think this was right after the horses came by? Woo hoo!! Parade!


Our family on the hill.



The kids really did have a good time, even though we walked forever and couldn't see well. I'm so glad Brenda was able to come with us. Something we will always remember!!


Oh. Very important. I am not going to cut my hair, for now. Totally worthy of a picture and a blog mention. ;)


We had an impromptu cookie-baking night with Melenda and Christine and all of the kids! Well, except for Daniel, who was attending a K-State game with his good buddy Collin. He had a blast and said his favorite part was the marching band show. Totally my child. :)


 Yum!


Annika (sitting next to Sage) at the all-district 6th grade choir festival!! These kids will all be part of the Class of 2022 someday in the way-too-soon-future. Will and I were both teaching during this time, but thankfully Brenda was down and was able to go.


Brenda was down because Will and I went to Phoenix to learn more about the study abroad trip to China we will be leading this May! I am going as the faculty advisor and Will will be my "program assistant."


Landing in Phoenix!


View from our hotel room.


If we'd been thinking, we would have taken a taxi to somewhere fun during our afternoon break time, but alas, did not think of that. Instead, we took a long walk around the nearby subdivision and strip malls, but at least saw lots of giant cacti to show the kids.


The kids had a blast with Nonnie!! Lots of fun on the agenda, such as going to Target and getting surprise presents such as a fuzzy blanket and a Minecraft sword. :)


Ice cream treats at Dairy Queen!


Breakfast at iHop!


Annika has gotten really interested in making bookmarks after watching a video online of how to fold them. Here are a dragon, and owl, and my favorite: a Starbucks-drinking unicorn.


Daniel had a yucky stomach bug last week but it was very short-lived and he is back to his pulled-pork-requesting self, yay!


Annika and her friend Carissa at Carissa's house! I love this picture that Carissa's mom sent of the two of them playing with shaving cream.


My wonderful mentor, co-author, former dissertation advisor and dear friend Donna came and presented a workshop at K-State this past Friday!! It was so wonderful to see her. We totally forgot to take a picture this time, so here is a picture of another time we were together.


Our big project on Saturday while Daniel had his buddy Andrew over for a playdate and Annika was at an Animal Health workshop at K-State was to clean out the garage so that we could actually park our cars in it this winter. Some of the "before" shots:





....And the "after"! Will did most of the real work, but I did contribute by whining a lot and frequently commenting that we were not going to be able to get both cars parked. ;) I am happy to report that I was WRONG and we totally can! (Well....the bikes are now stored outside under an awning for the winter.....but that is another story....)



Later that day was the Amanda Arnold School Carnival (Daniel's new school), and I had fun selling tickets while Will took the kids around. Alas, I neglected to take any pictures.

Sunday was all kinds of church fun, and then the Thorntons came over for an "indoor picnic" where they were very sweet and brought all of the food. I just love Greg and can't get enough of him.


Later that day was "A Christmas Carol" at McCain, put on by K-State Theatre with some extremely talented kiddos, including 5th graders Gracie and Olivia! Here is Gracie below with our family - I love how she is just glowing.


My favorite gift catalog of the year is here! We are buying a pair of goats in honor of each of the kids.


Have I mentioned that I just love Daniel's teacher? Here is his "thankful" note that he made for us. Minecraft doesn't get a specific mention, but perhaps that is because it is in the category "games you got me."


Last night was 4-H! The kids were each engaged in a recreation activity below. Our family will be hosting the club Christmas party in December.


November has been great, but I am thrilled that after today there are only THREE MORE DAYS until Fall Break! :)

No comments: