All year round, we have been planning to go back to Snow Mountain Ranch in Colorado for a few days of family fun starting on New Year's Day. Well. I think we were all so exhausted as Christmastime approached that even the kids said they would rather have time to just hang out at home. I am so glad that we decided to stay home and relax for a few days - it has been a blast, although I think will be hard for all of us to get back into the swing of things on Monday.
On New Year's Eve, our good friends Melendra and Joe invited us to a fondue party to celebrate the holiday. All of the kids ate first, with spaghetti, so that there was more cheese for the adults.
Greg with his very favorite teacher. He loves "Ms. Christine!!"
Ready to enjoy! For those counting, that is four pots of different delicious cheesy goodness. Better than The Melting Pot any day of the week!
They had all kinds of different dippers, too - apples, several kinds of bread, peppers, sausages, you name it. And I neglected to take a picture but for dessert, we had delicious peanut butter chocolate to dip with brownies, strawberries, and bananas. Even days later, I am still in a Food Coma.
We hiked down to the 9th Grade Center to see the fireworks at midnight. The kids were all bright eyed and bushy tailed; Will and I were more tired than they were.
Very blurry group photo on my iPhone.
Okay, this is dorky, but I am so proud of this - my SECOND Pinterest idea I have implemented. This is a "meal planning book" where you put all of your recipes together to make it easier to access recipes that you actually use, and each one is stored within its own plastic sleeve. Will said they used to do something like this at his scholarship house, but since I heard about it on Pinterest I am still claiming it as such. ;)
Does the fact that "Dessert" is listed second symbolic?? I think yes.
The last two nights in a row, we have played a super fun family board game...Imaginiff! The box says for ages 12 and up, but with some card screening, it is perfect for everyone in our family, even our non-reading 5-year-old. Thanks for the great gift, Nonnie and Pa!
On Thursday, while the kids were at a playdate, Will and I slipped off to a romantic lunch at the newest restaurant in town, Bourbon and Baker. This was the 4th time we have tried to go (1st time was a Sunday when they are always closed, 2nd time there was a 1.5 hour wait, 3rd time was on New Year's Day when they were closed). It was definitely worth the wait because this place is amazing and probably my new favorite restaurant, ever.
Everything is "Small Plates" (tapas) to be shared, and comes out as the food is ready.
Brussel sprouts. These were still my requisite "least-favorite food ever," but not know....wow!
The chorizo grits. So amazingly good!!
Cornbread sliders. This was probably my least favorite - not because it wasn't good, but because everything was so amazing.
And the very best food I think I have ever tasted in my life....The Waffle and Date. The syrup....the waffle....the date mixture....I think my tastebuds will never be the same again.
Back on the homefront, we have re-purposed the train table into the Lego Table. It works great with the flat surface.
We had to add more salt than the book called for, but we got the egg to float!
"Cat Fort" in Annika's room. (Her tent is still gone, but she pulled the comforter over to make a fort.)
Working on Melty Beads.
Daniel really enjoyed making a guitar out of a shoebox, rubber bands, and a toilet paper roll.
Rock Star.
Oh yes, the melty beads were used to make a Nyan Cat. You must watch this on YouTube if you want part of your brain cells permanently killed.
Marshmallow Tower.
We hosted a playdate this afternoon and had fun as always with these sweet girls.
And finally...tonight, my book group is having a Wine and Cheese Night! Will is taking the kids to Open Gym at Gymnastics Plus where they can burn off energy. I am so thrilled to announce that after giving up on wine, I have found one that tastes as good to me as grape juice....Moscato. This is high praise, people. ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment