Monday, January 20, 2014

Three Day Weekend

All four of us had a three-day weekend due to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day today. K-State classes begin tomorrow and it looks to be another very busy semester for both Will and me, so we tried to avoid all work the past three days (which we succeeded at, smashingly). We had many adventures this weekend, culminating in my official Weirdest Shopping Experience at Dillions Ever tonight. 

We tried out three new-to-us restaurants. Okay, this was during the week, but Will and I are on a quest to eat at every restaurant in Manhattan. Bi Bim Bap is a new Korean/Japanese place on the edge of Aggieville. 


People's Grocery Deli. This was about a mile walk from work and oh my goodness, was it ever tasty!! Will definitely be making return trips.



Big D's Burger Shack.


Greg took one look at his burger and promptly declared, "No salad!!"


Daniel has discovered the joy of Highlights' Hidden Pictures. This is convenient, because we own every Highlights item manufactured for the past five years.


Grandma and Grandpa came to visit! During their entire time, Greg would only be held by Grandpa.


Grandma and the kids! You can tell that Annika is less than enthusiastic about Daniel's whistle.


We got to see the Vitamax blender in action.


Annika and I had mother/daughter book group! We read one of books in The Sisters Grimm series this month.


We went to the women's basketball game. This was against Iowa State as part of the Pack the House event. Free parking, $1 tickets, and $1 select snacks!


And the Wildcats pulled out a win! Thanks to our friends Marne and Brian for getting the tickets and going with us - it was a ton of fun.


We took advantage of the beautiful weather.


Daniel got some practice in on the brand-new scooter he received for Christmas.


Will further confirmed that he is the best husband ever with this surprise dinner treat for me on Sunday night.


Annika and her best friend planned their science fair project. Daniel, always after inclusion, has also decided to enter the science fair and has drafted his own proposal.


Will read Daniel an entire Magic Treehouse book in one sitting. This was "Dolphins at Daybreak," which Will says is the book in the series he has read the most to the two kids.


The kids put on an Animal Fashion Show.


Daniel's alligator adopted a sporty look.


The girls later created a Tiger Beach.


Daniel later put up his own Alligator Beach.


Daniel had a playdate with his "very best friend, Collin." Thanks to Collin's mom for texting me this picture - both of the boys decided to be "bad guys."


We had dinner with our friends Abby and Emma. This was after our big walk together and before 4-H. Annika was excited to hang out with Emma and enjoy the return of the most-lauded Peep.


The kids went to 4-H. The kids got to bring their favorite Christmas presents as part of roll call, and as shown below, both elected to bring one of their Lego creations. This was Daniel's first meeting as a Cloverbud and he was very excited to learn about entomology.


Finally, while Will and the kids were at 4-H tonight, I went running with Christine and then hit the grocery store. The order of these events is important, I think, because I went to the store still in my running clothes. Dillions was entirely filled with college students who were stocking up on groceries before the first day of classes tomorrow.With this important background in mind, I had the most bizarre conversation ever:

Me: [Nothing. Silence. I am shopping for sodium-laden frozen Indian meals for lunch.]

Random College Guy: Do you have a boyfriend?

Me: Um - what did you say???

Random College Guy: Do you have a boyfriend? Or are you like, married or something?

Me: [Unable to suppress laughter.] Um. I am older than you think I am.

What I was trying to convey was, "I know the store is full of college students and I know that by wearing running clothes I am dressed exactly the same as all of them, but I am actually Not One of Them. Future tip: Always look for wedding rings first." Instead, this turned into a conversation about ages, where I was ultimately triumphant that I am, indeed, older. The whole thing was really bizarre. And I am totally changing out of running clothes the next time I go to the grocery store at night.

1 comment:

Dad (Grandpa) said...

Why is it your Grandpa looks more like grandpa than Grandma looks like grandma? And speaking of genetics, did you later tell Will some college kid though you were hot?