We had a lovely day at Snow Mountain Ranch, where we enjoyed arts and crafts, hiking, horseshoes, trail runs, playgrounds, the library, board games, visiting Granby, and roller skating.
Arts and Crafts - this was hand's down Annika's favorite part of the day. Snow Mountain Ranch has a fabulous craft shop with lots of very helpful instructors and it is set up for just about anything you might want to do - from jewelry making to tie-dye to pottery. Annika spent, I kid you not, close to two hours working on painting, drying, glazing, and drying a ceramic dragon (using acrylic paint). Daniel had fun decorating a wooden lizard and making a dragon picture, while Annika convinced me to join her in painting and I made a cupcake magnet.
Hikes and Horseshoes - all of our family enjoyed playing horseshoes (my first time ever!) - Will was the undisputed champion and Annika came in first. While Annika and I worked more on painting, Will and Daniel hiked around and got to visit the original settlement home and see the zip line in process (which 100% of our family members agree we have zero interest in).
Trail Run - at lunch time, Nonnie and Pa watched the kids so that Will and I could go run on some of the trails together. Before we went running, I was thinking I could get really in to running on trails because the scenery is beautiful and it is much easier on your joints. After the run, I decided that those two points are quite true, but that I was not used to running on uneven footing, and most of all, running at high altitude is HARD!
Playground - The afternoon was marked by off-and-on thunderstorms, and so our plans of going swimming and mini-golfing were never able to come to fruition (even though the swimming pool is indoors, it still closes for 30 minutes after any lightening is spotted). We ignored the weather and played on one of the many camp playgrounds some, but as you can see, not all members of our party were happy with this choice. :)
Library - this was one of the favorite parts of the day for all members of the family! The camp has a library but we had not visited it before in the winter. We were delighted to discover that it had a very large but cozy room with tons of books, puzzles, and board games that you could borrow, plus comfy chairs to sit and computers available for use. And best of all, the kids were able to entertain themselves while Will, Nonnie and I played a new-to-us board game: Imaginiff. Highly recommended!
Dinner in Granby - we took a journey over to the nearby town of Granby to try dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. Alas, we were too late to take advantage of the "Drive by Pie" next door.
Roller Skating - with swimming off of the agenda, we headed to the camp recreation center to go roller skating (like about every activity this is totally free, which is awesome). We all had a ball! I made the realization that I am probably the best roller skater in the family (I never did figure out roller-blades but all of those Saturday mornings at Skate East must have paid off). Annika got much more comfortable on skates again as the night wore on, and Daniel gets the Most Improved Award of the night! He began the night by clinging to the wall or one of our hands and falling down every few feet, to ending the night with being able to scoot around (slowly) all by himself. We want to come back the next couple of nights so we can all keep practicing!
Beautiful Mountain Views - and of course, all day we were surrounded by glorious mountain scenery. The storms and clouds that rolled in and out made for some pretty spectacular views.
Tomorrow, we are planning on going on a hike to see a waterfall and (hopefully) trying out the mini-golf course and swimming. And if the weather cooperates, Will and I might even get to go mountain biking!

No comments:
Post a Comment