Saturday, April 11, 2020

More Pandemic Details



I keep thinking how all the little details from life now will be fascinating in the future. More details from the midst of the pandemic:

- The CDC has now recommended wearing a mask to prevent asymptotic people from spreading illnesses. I went to Dillons yesterday and the majority of shoppers were wearing a mask at the time I went.

- Masks are impossible to find. Those who can sew (and find elastic) are the heroes of the hour. 

- Health care has adapted. Last week, I had a blood draw for a lab that was taken from my car. A child had a doctor’s appointment on the computer. Both were fantastic options.

- Education has also adapted. We had an IEP meeting on Zoom, which was awesome. The trickiest part was navigating electronic signatures in Adobe, which I now have down pat.

- Family activities have exploded. Puzzle makers can’t keep up with demand. Our family had learned all kinds of new card games. We went star-gazing last night and it was magical. 

- Certain items remain elusive at the store. We managed to track down toilet paper, but hand struggled to find bags of rice. 

- Ironically, I have used Clicklist for over a year to order and pick up my groceries. Now that we are in a pandemic, the lead times are often a week or longer, so I have started entering the store again. It feels like a hazard zone.

- People who can sew and grow their own food and make their own repairs and are generally self-sufficient are amazing. 

What little details have you noticed?

No comments: