Thursday, April 7, 2016

Just Say YES!



I recently spoke on a panel at a doctoral consortium where our task was to give career and life advice to Ph.D. students on how to succeed in academia. I am not sure how much wisdom I really have to impart, but I had the good fortune of listening to another great panelist present.

Her message - "Just Say YES!" Her main point was that there is so much advice in both academia and society at large to "Just Say No" to anything that could be a distraction from your core principles. While there is certainly so much value in knowing your core values and focusing on that, by saying YES, you expose yourself to all kinds of areas that help you learn and grow as a person.

I absolutely love this advice. Mainly because I have always been horrible at saying "no," so it was good to pretend that my tendency to take on too much might have value. And I truly do believe that there is indeed value in saying "yes," such as . . .

7. You make memories. The picture in this blog is of Jenny, Amy, and me after walking a full marathon in Estes Park in June 2014. Why walk a marathon, which takes almost seven hours, and makes every part of your body hurt? Because it's an adventure and something that we will never ever forget. Even if we never repeat it. ;)

6. You learn new skills. I am not a natural leader, but by saying "yes" to leadership roles, I've learned that maybe I am not doomed. From chairing the stewardship and finance committee at church to getting ready to take the helms of the Public Interest section in my professional association, I've discovered that leadership is really more developed than innate.

5. You feel connected. There are a lot of jokes out there about making sure that you don't join your child's school's PTA. But I can honestly say that I love being involved with the PTO at my children's schools, from staying informed on what is going on to feeling connected with other parents. It's a little harder with the kids at two schools now, but I've gotten to know so much about my son's new school by attending PTO meetings, and still feel very connected at my daughter's school due to my past service there.

4. You push yourself. I have never been to China. I have never led a study abroad trip -- or even studied abroad. But yet, in a little over a month, I will be leading a group of students on a study abroad trip to China. I am simultaneously excited and terrified. But I know how much this trip will push me outside of my comfort zone and how good it will be for me in the end. I think. I hope. ;)

3. You give back. This is something that I could definitely be better at, but I love volunteering and helping, particularly when I feel like I can really make a difference or give back. I currently help teach children's church (although I will be "retiring" come August) and Sunday School at church, and I love that I am able to help some in programs where my children have participated and flourished. It means so much to me to know that our children have so many wonderful, caring adults in their lives -- and I hope I could be that in some small way for another child as well.

2. Your life is richer. Some of the advice given in academia is to be quiet, work on your research, and don't take on any distractions. But I have never been good at following advice. ;) I love being part of bell choir at church and in book clubs that force me to keep up the habit of reading -- because they truly enrich my life.

1. You have FUN. You only live once . . . so why not go for it, and say YES to new opportunities that come your way? You just might change your life. Or at least have some fun along the way. ;)

What have you said YES to in your life?

No comments: