Saturday, February 6, 2016

On Being an Introverted Parent in an Extroverted World


A close friend and I were discussing what it's like being an introverted parent today. I've blogged about what it's like being an introvert before (see here), but I think that being an introvert as a parent presents some unique challenges and adventures. Such as:

7. Hiding in the Bathroom. Maybe I am the only one who does this, but sometimes when the kids were little I would shut myself in the bathroom just to have a few extra moments of quiet. It's not glamorous, but it's like a little slice of heaven.

6. Spending Time Alone in a Hotel Room is Like Heaven. Okay, this one is probably true of all parents (or probably all people!) but hey, I think that for introverts it is also like a special level of heaven to have all of this blissful silence enveloping you.

5. Having a More Extroverted Child is Challenging. Truthfully, everyone in our family is some level of an introvert, but one of our children is more extroverted than the rest of us. Having someone who needs so much more constant interaction than I do can be physically and emotionally exhausting.

4. Decompression Time is Needed After Groups of Kids. I love spending time with kids and helping out at church or at their schools, but I find that I am exhausted after even an hour of hanging out with large groups of kids and need a long time of just reading or playing on my phone to recharge. 

3. Reading Time is Magical. This is something that our family has recently implemented and I feel like it is saving my sanity. We have 30 minutes a day where everyone stops what they are doing and actually reads. I feel like I can catch my breath and feel my heart rejoicing in the glorious silence. 

2. I Worry About My Kids Being Socially Awkward. Perhaps this isn't due to introversion, but I have always felt somewhat socially awkward, and I worry about passing this on to my kids. I feel like I am not as good at teaching kids how to break out of their shell and engage with others in socially appropriate ways. Of course, I would also be worried about how to nurture a true extrovert, so I guess you can't win. ;)

1. It Really Gets Easier as Kids Age. I think that because my kids are older now and need less constant attention, I find it much easier to stay recharged now as a parent than when they were younger. Not that every age isn't magical and wonderful and special. But as an Introverted Parent in an Extroverted World, I find that when they sometimes crave alone time, too, that I can breathe a little easier as well. 

What about you? Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am very extroverted, but the constant insanity that is motherhood has certainly pushed me to my limits. I desperately need that quiet recharge a few times a day or I find myself suffering from anxiety and am generally overwhelmed with life. I love people. I love just walking up to a stranger and making a new friend. But, more often than not, I crave quiet solitude even though I know that one day I will miss the noisy chaos that is their childhood.