Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Light Up with Joy

This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
-This Little Light of Mine, by Avis Burgeson Christiansen


A while ago, I had a lovely discussion with some friends online on what brings your children the most joy. I started thinking about this after attending a dance recital - so many of my friends' kids looked utterly filled with joy and obviously loving what they do. I have seen this also on kids' faces when in the middle of a sporting match, or finishing a challenging piano piece, or describing a favorite book to a friend. There is nothing like it. 

What makes our own children light up with joy? In thinking about this question, I realized that for all of their many differences, at their core so many of the same things bring them joy. 

1. For both of them, art and Legos are a source of much delight. I can't necessarily "'cheer them on" while they are busy creating a piece of pottery, but I do bask in their joy when they show me their creations when they are finished. 

2. Cats. Particularly Annika - she can become instant BFFs with any cat around. 

3. Harry Potter. Annika has read all of the books, multiple times, and we've read to Daniel through the 4th book. (Because we sometimes make questionable parenting decisions, both children have also seen all of the movies. ;) ) Seeing them at Harry Potter World with all of their excitement and delight at their favorite characters embodied was truly magical. 

4. Reading. For Annika, this is reading on her own, particularly discovering a series that she loves, such as Warriors or Harry Potter. Daniel does not always light up with joy when reading, but I have seen flashes when he discovers a story that he loves, such as the Bad Kitty series. 

5. Science. Annika is doing an incredible STEM program this summer and when she talks about the activities, like dissecting a fetal pig and doing blood type testing, she positively glows. Daniel, meanwhile, has declared that the Science Rotation in Vacation Bible School is the very best, ever, and wishes we could have it every night. 

6. Swimming. I would not say that either of our children is a particularly great swimming - and one of them I am not even sure if we could truly use the term "swimmer" yet - but our children squeal with delight whenever they are in a pool. It is one of the most special things about our new house. 

7. Imaginative Play. Our children are not a fan of most traditional sports - with the exception of basketball, which they have both declared that they love - but they can be entertained for hours with making up and acting out complex, imaginative, cooperative role-playing games. With Daniel, these often involve weapons and destruction. 

8. Biking. Both kids learned how to ride their bikes last summer, and has been transformative for our family now that we are a Family of Bike Riders. Daniel still prefers the tag-along bike behind Will's bike, and often laughs with joy as they fly down the hills - "Faster! Faster!" Annika has declared that she wants to "bike a marathon!" and is looking forward to biking to school. And there is nothing like the sense of freedom that riding a bicycle brings. 

9. Drawing. Okay, this is probably under the "art and Legos" category, but I think that both of our kids could entertain themselves all day with a stack of printer paper and a pen. What they like to draw varies - Annika is drawn to dragons, while Daniel favors battle scenes - but their love of visual expression is united. 

10. Basketball. I never, ever, ever would have thought this would be on our list in the last year, but both kids decided to play for the first time this year and really liked it. I do not think that either has a future beyond the informal parks & rec leagues, but seeing them each enjoy a team sport and talk about the game with excitement is priceless. 

What about you - what brings joy for you, your kids, or others you know?

No comments: