Saturday, November 30, 2013

Oh Baby, Baby


In the past couple of months, my mind has taken an incredibly irrational turn and I have become obsessed with a crazy idea: Having a third child. Maybe it's because both kids are now in elementary school and life is so manageable now, maybe it's because so many of my friends are having babies, or maybe it's my biological clock going off, oblivious to the fact that we already have two wonderful children and our family is complete, but whatever the reason, I am going crazy. 

As it turns out, "Baby Fever is a Real Emotion" (click here for article), which is brought on by having more positive exposure to babies and a positive view of the trade-offs involved. Well. Since this is evidently a very scientific emotion, what better why to decide whether to have a third child than through a pro/con list?

Cons for Our Family Having a Third Child

10. This is medically impossible for us, or at least medically impossible without having some major medical intervention, which really does not make sense. So really, this whole mental exercise is kind of ridiculous. But! There's more...

9. We are finally in the "sweet spot" with both children. I am currently home alone now while each child is on a playdate. Having another child would require resetting the clock and take us another 5+ years to get to this point. 

8. I took a very scientific quiz on the Internet called "How many children should I have?" Answer: Two children. I tried retaking it while changing some of the answers. Answer: Still two children. 

7. My career is very important to me. I know that there are women who work full-time with three, four, five, or more children, but I am afraid that the whole house of cards Will and I have constructed in trying to each manage our careers while raising children would come tumbling down with another one. 

6. Assuming that we had another baby as soon as possible, Will would still be....60 years old before he/she graduated from college. 

5. After Daniel was born, I immediately felt 100%, totally, wonderfully complete as a family; with Annika, I always had the sense that our family was not complete with just her. I have honestly never had an urge for a third child until recently. 

4. I gleefully gave away all our baby gear as soon as Daniel outgrew each item. 

3. We sometimes feel that it is hard having children four years apart, since it required "resetting the clock" and dealing with children in very different stages. It is finally getting easier now that they are closer in age (percentile wise) and more in the same stage. Even if we had a third child immediately, that would mean that Annika would be 10 years old and Daniel 6 years old when he/she was born. 

2. The thought of pumping milk at work for another year is enough to make me cry. 

1. I get stressed easily. Not sleeping makes me crazy. Not sleeping while I am also stressed is...not good. 

Pros for Our Family Having a Third Child

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Babies are so sweet and so cute and so cuddly and oh my gosh, I want one, want one, want one! 

So, there you have it. As you can see, our family will not, in fact, be having a third child due to the fact that this makes no sense for our family. But it doesn't make me feel any less obsessed. :)

No comments: